Do these EC's count as volunteering or teaching/tutoring?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1161605

AAMC's core competencies say that service orientation "demonstrates a desire to help others and sensitivity to others' needs and feelings; demonstrates a desire to alleviate others' distress and recognizes and acts on his/her responsibilities to society locally, nationally, and globally." I've seen a lot of threads where experts have recommended that applicants find more non-tutoring/teaching activities because teaching isn't a strong example of this competency.

I wanted to ask about my own ECs, because "teaching" makes up a large portion of my hours. I feel strongly about the role of education in empowering disadvantaged youth, and my activities reflect that, mainly:
  • 350 hrs volunteering as a "teaching fellow" at rigorous summer program designed for high achieving but disadvantaged and underrepresented kids in urban areas (technically Americorps) - I would like to go for another summer too
  • a couple hundred hours starting a student org that facilitates fun STEAM activities for a local elementary school with primarily low-income kids during after-school care
I feel like these do show service orientation, but I just wanted to have some second opinions because technically I am "teaching".

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user

Do these EC's count as volunteering or teaching/tutoring?

AAMC's core competencies say that service orientation "demonstrates a desire to help others and sensitivity to others' needs and feelings; demonstrates a desire to alleviate others' distress and recognizes and acts on his/her responsibilities to society locally, nationally, and globally." I've seen a lot of threads where experts have recommended that applicants find more non-tutoring/teaching activities because teaching isn't a strong example of this competency.

I wanted to ask about my own ECs, because "teaching" makes up a large portion of my hours. I feel strongly about the role of education in empowering disadvantaged youth, and my activities reflect that, mainly:
  • 350 hrs volunteering as a "teaching fellow" at rigorous summer program designed for high achieving but disadvantaged and underrepresented kids in urban areas (technically Americorps) - I would like to go for another summer too
  • a couple hundred hours starting a student org that facilitates fun STEAM activities for a local elementary school with primarily low-income kids during after-school care
I feel like these do show service orientation, but I just wanted to have some second opinions because technically I am "teaching".
Make the choice that will best balance your application, since either tag would apply. Perhaps use Teaching/Tutoring for the first and Volunteer/Community Service for the second. Be sure to mention the leadership components of the latter in your description.

Reactions: 6 users
Here is a summary of the fine line between tutoring/teaching and service orientation in my eyes.

Are you acting as a subject matter expert, showing your expertise in the subject matter? That's teaching, which is an extension of thinking competencies, and you are basically coaching others about learning what you know.

Desire to alleviate other's distress is not the same as teaching someone math. To me, it involves immersing yourself totally in other's lived experiences. People usually don't want to be taught or lectured to, especially if you use your expertise maintain separation. If your job is not tied into how well the student performs on a test, I think of it more like tutoring.

Americorps is an experience where you are more immersed in the environment where students learn than if you were just running a fun science lab on liquid nitrogen for two hours.

Starting a Student organization goes under leadership in my opinion.

Also, teaching other's how to succeed on the MCAT or SAT is not service orientation either. It can be teaching. It can be a job.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Are you acting as a subject matter expert, showing your expertise in the subject matter? That's teaching, which is an extension of thinking competencies, and you are basically coaching others about learning what you know.

I feel that this applies more to my Americorps role than to my organization - after all, they are only elementary school students and the goal is to incite interest in learning and confidence in their ability to pursue it, rather than to impart knowledge. However, I do also think that my experience in Americorps extended beyond teaching. I will probably list Americorps as volunteer/service and my student org as leadership, as you suggested. I do have some time as a TA to use for teaching/tutoring.

Thank you everyone for the feedback!

I feel that this applies more to my Americorps role than to my organization - after all, they are only elementary school students and the goal is to incite interest in learning and confidence in their ability to pursue it, rather than to impart knowledge. However, I do also think that my experience in Americorps extended beyond teaching. I will probably list Americorps as volunteer/service and my student org as leadership, as you suggested. I do have some time as a TA to use for teaching/tutoring.

Thank you everyone for the feedback!
That sounds fine. Good luck!