Question about emails

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iwillnottalktou

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
They told us to sign emails as

John Doe
M.D. Candidate
School of Medicine
Class 2020
Contact info

For anything coming from our school accounts. Which makes sense, however someone from our class made his

John Doe, M.D. (c), M.S.

He does have his masters, so I don't have a problem with that. But putting M.D. with a little parenthetical c next to it feels like misrepresenting yourself as a doctor. At the very least it feels like putting the cart before the horse, we haven't earned that title yet.

I spoke to said student and he told me that it's a universally understood email signature and to mind my own business.

So, was I in the wrong? Or is this weird?

Members don't see this ad.

I agree with you that it's weird, but I also agree with him that you should mind your own business.

Reactions: 1 users
Honestly all the faculty at school that reads his emails are going to think he's an idiot for that signature so he will get more than enough grief I imagine.

Members don't see this ad :)
They told us to sign emails as

John Doe
M.D. Candidate
School of Medicine
Class 2020
Contact info

For anything coming from our school accounts. Which makes sense, however someone from our class made his

John Doe, M.D. (c), M.S.

He does have his masters, so I don't have a problem with that. But putting M.D. with a little parenthetical c next to it feels like misrepresenting yourself as a doctor. At the very least it feels like putting the cart before the horse, we haven't earned that title yet.

I spoke to said student and he told me that it's a universally understood email signature and to mind my own business.

So, was I in the wrong? Or is this weird?

he was right about bolded

Some people are so strange about needing to identify everything in their signature. I usually just put "John Doe, MS4" if I'm emailing anything med school related. I operate under the impression that you should only include extra info in your signature if it's necessary for your audience...or else you just look like a dbag. For example, if you're emailing some faculty member that you asked to come speak to the surgery club and you happen to be the president of that club, it's might be appropriate to sign your email as John Doe, MS4, President of Surgery Club. Other than that, I can't imagine that anyone cares if you have a master's degree (especially if its some post bacc **** that you did because you didn't get into med school the first time), an MPH, or a bachelors, or whatever.

There's a guy in the class below me that signs every email with:
John Doe, RN, BSN, CEN, EMT-P
MD Candidate - 2018

So silly.

Reactions: 2 users