question about entering publications on AMCAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

janedoe4

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I swear I've seen the answer to this in some official document, but I've just gone through all the AMCAS instructions and can't find it so I wanted to check here to see if I'm crazy:

Publications that are actually in print should get their own listings in the Experience/Activities section, while manuscripts that are in preparation or submitted should be put in the description of the research experience from which they came. <--Is this true, and can someone tell me for my peace of mind where exactly AMCAS states this?

Also, what should be done with publications that are in press (accepted, will definitely be published, but aren't in print yet)?

Members don't see this ad.

Potentially answering my own question:

Googling suggests that this isn't an AMCAS instruction, but rather comes from this widely circulated (including on SDN) message. Anyone know if that's the case, or if AMCAS actually does say something on the subject?

How have the rest of you listed publications that were in press or sumitted when you submitted your AMCAS? Or have you left them out?

janedoe4 said:
Potentially answering my own question:

Googling suggests that this isn't an AMCAS instruction, but rather comes from this widely circulated (including on SDN) message. Anyone know if that's the case, or if AMCAS actually does say something on the subject?

How have the rest of you listed publications that were in press or sumitted when you submitted your AMCAS? Or have you left them out?

I kinda composited them. Abstracts and 2nd-4th author pubs got composited under subject headings, first author papers got their own experience.

I don't think med schools or AMCAS cares. They read the descriptions anyway. Plus they don't provide a Journal field under the publication type.