Question About ERAS and AP/FP training

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheCritic

What is truth?
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Maybe this has been discussed, but I couldn't find the answer I was looking for:

For programs that offer multiple types of training e.g. AP/CP, AP only, CP only, AP-FP, etc., can I apply to multiple types of training for the same program this year? For example, right now I have applied to AP/CP at UTSW, but I have already submitted my application. I am planning a forensics rotation there because I am beginning to seriously consider FP, but I am not sure what type of situation this puts me in. The rotation will most likely not be until January, and I will have possibly interviewed already. So can I apply to both by just checking the other box in ERAS? Or can I switch later and discuss this with the program?

Members don't see this ad.

I think I would ask the program, I remember applying and interviewing at a couple of programs that had those options, and on my interviews they asked me which track I was applying for, as if they didn't know or it didn't matter. There is also the factor that quite a few path residents who initially elect for one track or the other end up changing their mind (like an AP/CP resident switching to AP only) and it usually doesn't cause any significant difficulties.

It might make a difference at certain programs though. In particular when combined with a boarded fellowship like FP (if you do this track do you automatically get a FP fellowship there? Or is it just designed to foster an interest and you apply like everyone else for fellowships?).

The answer to your question is no, you can't usually apply to multiple tracks. But the more nuanced answer is that it doesn't usually matter much because you can change your mind.

I don't think any program director who is considering your application would have many qualms about you calling and asking these questions to them though.

ok, i can address this issue, as i called and spoke with the PD this summer when i was briefly considering AP-FP. first off, he told me that while it exists, no one has ever done it to his knowledge.

to answer yaah's questio - because no one has ever done it, i don't know what the formal curriculum would be, and it's more than just 3 years of AP and then a guaranteed FP fellowship. but you are guaranteed the FP spot at UTSW.

what the PD told me is that all the AP candidates go into a pool together - AP only, AP/CP, AP/FP, and AP/NP. then there's a separate pool for CP only applicants. this makes total sense since the main work contribution from path residents come from the AP side and it wouldn't matter what else that person is doing. he also told me that he only asks a candidate to decidide what type of AP track they're doing after they've matched into the program's AP training.

all that said, i think there's a reason it's rarely done. do a search and you'll see a lot of comments that the CP training is useful to the practice of FP. i would suggest talking to a local FP also. i did that, and they all said to do AP/CP, thus that's what i'm going to do, and if i still want to do forensic path in 3 years i'm still right on track.

hope that answered your question.

ok, i can address this issue, as i called and spoke with the PD this summer when i was briefly considering AP-FP. first off, he told me that while it exists, no one has ever done it to his knowledge.

to answer yaah's questio - because no one has ever done it, i don't know what the formal curriculum would be, and it's more than just 3 years of AP and then a guaranteed FP fellowship. but you are guaranteed the FP spot at UTSW.

what the PD told me is that all the AP candidates go into a pool together - AP only, AP/CP, AP/FP, and AP/NP. then there's a separate pool for CP only applicants. this makes total sense since the main work contribution from path residents come from the AP side and it wouldn't matter what else that person is doing. he also told me that he only asks a candidate to decidide what type of AP track they're doing after they've matched into the program's AP training.

all that said, i think there's a reason it's rarely done. do a search and you'll see a lot of comments that the CP training is useful to the practice of FP. i would suggest talking to a local FP also. i did that, and they all said to do AP/CP, thus that's what i'm going to do, and if i still want to do forensic path in 3 years i'm still right on track.

hope that answered your question.

Thanks! That was exactly what I was looking for. I think I'll probably come to the same conclusion as you have already. Besides, I really have enjoyed the CP exposure I have had so far. Oh but I think one resident at UTSW has switched over to AP-FP this year.