question about essays

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chemphd

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, and thanks in advance for any input:)

I'm having some trouble starting on one of my secondary essays. One is pretty easy- talk about an EC that impacted your going into medicine. I think I've got that one down.

The other one, however, wants to know what I personally would bring to their community. I wrote a draft and talked about things that are important to me- being involved in the community, that I like to travel, that I have experiences from grad school (doing basic science and teaching), etc. but was then told by a friend I asked to read it over that I wasn't talking about who I am in the way I was supposed to. I could just list a bunch of things that I am (instead of things I care about)- any thoughts?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

The other one, however, wants to know what I personally would bring to their community. I wrote a draft and talked about things that are important to me- being involved in the community, that I like to travel, that I have experiences from grad school (doing basic science and teaching), etc. but was then told by a friend I asked to read it over that I wasn't talking about who I am in the way I was supposed to. I could just list a bunch of things that I am (instead of things I care about)- any thoughts?

This sounds like UMichigan. :rolleyes:
I think you were on the right track with the draft you wrote. They don't want a list, a la:

Pretty
Intelligent
Honest
Wears clothes to class
Enjoys pizza

...etc. What character traits do you bring to their school? Talents? Hardships you have overcome that have made you a better medical school candidate? ...a better person?

Good luck!

This sounds like UMichigan. :rolleyes:

...etc. What character traits do you bring to their school? Talents? Hardships you have overcome that have made you a better medical school candidate? ...a better person?

Good luck!

Why yes, yes it does:oops::oops: Thanks for your response- always nice to hear that I'm not completely off-base. This question was just such a difference from the "please tell us how great we are" questions that a lot of the other schools seem to be asking, that I wasn't quite sure I was headed in the right direction. I guess it's nice that they actually want to learn more about us, though:laugh:

Good luck to you too:)

Why yes, yes it does:oops::oops: Thanks for your response- always nice to hear that I'm not completely off-base. This question was just such a difference from the "please tell us how great we are" questions that a lot of the other schools seem to be asking, that I wasn't quite sure I was headed in the right direction. I guess it's nice that they actually want to learn more about us, though:laugh:

Good luck to you too:)

I concur that you were on the right path. I wrote an essay about some of the things that were unique to my experiences and how they shaped my perspectives.