question about essays

Started by chemphd
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

chemphd

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone, and thanks in advance for any input🙂

I'm having some trouble starting on one of my secondary essays. One is pretty easy- talk about an EC that impacted your going into medicine. I think I've got that one down.

The other one, however, wants to know what I personally would bring to their community. I wrote a draft and talked about things that are important to me- being involved in the community, that I like to travel, that I have experiences from grad school (doing basic science and teaching), etc. but was then told by a friend I asked to read it over that I wasn't talking about who I am in the way I was supposed to. I could just list a bunch of things that I am (instead of things I care about)- any thoughts?

Thanks!
 
The other one, however, wants to know what I personally would bring to their community. I wrote a draft and talked about things that are important to me- being involved in the community, that I like to travel, that I have experiences from grad school (doing basic science and teaching), etc. but was then told by a friend I asked to read it over that I wasn't talking about who I am in the way I was supposed to. I could just list a bunch of things that I am (instead of things I care about)- any thoughts?

This sounds like UMichigan. 🙄
I think you were on the right track with the draft you wrote. They don't want a list, a la:

Pretty
Intelligent
Honest
Wears clothes to class
Enjoys pizza

...etc. What character traits do you bring to their school? Talents? Hardships you have overcome that have made you a better medical school candidate? ...a better person?

Good luck!
 
This sounds like UMichigan. 🙄


...etc. What character traits do you bring to their school? Talents? Hardships you have overcome that have made you a better medical school candidate? ...a better person?

Good luck!

Why yes, yes it does😳😳 Thanks for your response- always nice to hear that I'm not completely off-base. This question was just such a difference from the "please tell us how great we are" questions that a lot of the other schools seem to be asking, that I wasn't quite sure I was headed in the right direction. I guess it's nice that they actually want to learn more about us, though:laugh:

Good luck to you too🙂
 
Why yes, yes it does😳😳 Thanks for your response- always nice to hear that I'm not completely off-base. This question was just such a difference from the "please tell us how great we are" questions that a lot of the other schools seem to be asking, that I wasn't quite sure I was headed in the right direction. I guess it's nice that they actually want to learn more about us, though:laugh:

Good luck to you too🙂

I concur that you were on the right path. I wrote an essay about some of the things that were unique to my experiences and how they shaped my perspectives.