Question about extracurriculars

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Segment

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I wanted to know how much emphasis Podiatry schools (Specifically NYCPM) on ECs.

I want to volunteer in the ER at my local hospital, and I wanted to know if Pod schools look down on this.

By the way I will be shadowing podiatrists.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I called up almost all of the schools, and they look HEAVILY on GPA and MCAT over anything else. Volunteering in a medical setting will definitely boost your application though, so do that. The admissions realize that there aren't really full "podiatry hospitals", although there are a few large clinics, so volunteering with MD/DO doctors is perfect.

I did a few weeks of ER volunteer during sophomore yr of my undergrad. It was never brought up during my interview.

Don't worry about the relevancy of your volunteer activity to podiatry. As long as it shows your interest in medicine and well-being of others then it is fine. As PatchAdamsFan said your GPA and MCAT come first so don't get too worked up on beefing up your application with ECs. Just have the essentials under your belt and focus on GPA/MCAT. Generally speaking, great GPA/MCAT can cover lack of ECs but great ECs cannot cover for lack of GPA/MCAT.

When you shadow a podiatrist go in there to learn. Try not to impress the the doc with questions. There are no questions you can ask that can impress the doc. During your initial hours with the doc, try not to be chatty and just absorb everything that's going on. When the doc is ready for your questions he/she will ask if you have any questions but even then just say "not yet." Any questions you have, you should bring them home and think about it and bring them back to the doc's office the net day. Do not interfere when he/she is doing a procedure even during nail clipping. Remember that you're a shadow. Be respectful to the patients and always thank them for allowing you into the examination room and observe.

Good luck :thumbup: