extracurriculars

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

andrew3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
i was curious if it is appropriate to put high school extracurricular activities on your application for podiatry school. for example leadership roles such as vice president of the chemistry club or if you worked at a job during high school.

Members don't see this ad.

I've been told many times by advisors, professors, and fellow students that once you are in undergrad, high school matters not, once you are in post grad/professional, undergrad mattereth little. I would probably only mention undergrad ECs, pod school aren't as psychotic about extracurricular involvement as MD schools are, no need to pad your resume!!

i was curious if it is appropriate to put high school extracurricular activities on your application for podiatry school. for example leadership roles such as vice president of the chemistry club or if you worked at a job during high school.

High school? Absolutely not...unless you want to elicit a few chuckles.

Members don't see this ad :)
No, do not include anything from high school.

But but but but I was drum major of my marching band!!! Surely they'll want to know that!!! ;)

But but but but I was drum major of my marching band!!! Surely they'll want to know that!!! ;)

There are ALWAYS exceptions, and of course this is one prime example.:D

I included high school stuff on my application but not everything. I wouldn't include the vice president of the chem club thing, only health-related experiences. For example, although I helped plant trees for community service during my senior year in high school I didn't put that down but I did include my volunteering at a marathon/fund raiser for cancer research. I didn't work for first-aid or nothing; I only helped watch kids while their parents ran the marathon. That would be as far as I would stretch it but I doubt anyone cares what you put down as long as you don't make any grammatical errors. I was invited to every school I applied to and none of my high school stuff came up during the interviews. Good luck!

I included high school stuff on my application but not everything. I wouldn't include the vice president of the chem club thing, only health-related experiences. For example, although I helped plant trees for community service during my senior year in high school I didn't put that down but I did include my volunteering at a marathon/fund raiser for cancer research. I didn't work for first-aid or nothing; I only helped watch kids while their parents ran the marathon. That would be as far as I would stretch it but I doubt anyone cares what you put down as long as you don't make any grammatical errors. I was invited to every school I applied to and none of my high school stuff came up during the interviews. Good luck!

I included the jobs I had in high school (they specifically asked what jobs I had, and I figured starting work at 16 might make me look special), but beyond that, nothing.

Once you get here, undergrad is kind of a joke (not to belittle your experience at all, I simply mean that it's a running joke that if people here put in the effort they do now when they were in undergrad, we all would have had an easy 4.0), in much the same way that high school doesn't matter when you're in undergrad.

If you did something substantial (like cultivate a bacteria that would degrade styrofoam exponentially faster...crazy kid) then put it in there, but if it's not Nobel prize worthy, best bet is to leave it out. Like doob said, though, including most anything medical can't hurt.

Good luck in your endeavors!

I included the jobs I had in high school (they specifically asked what jobs I had, and I figured starting work at 16 might make me look special), but beyond that, nothing.

Once you get here, undergrad is kind of a joke (not to belittle your experience at all, I simply mean that it's a running joke that if people here put in the effort they do now when they were in undergrad, we all would have had an easy 4.0), in much the same way that high school doesn't matter when you're in undergrad.

If you did something substantial (like cultivate a bacteria that would degrade styrofoam exponentially faster...crazy kid) then put it in there, but if it's not Nobel prize worthy, best bet is to leave it out. Like doob said, though, including most anything medical can't hurt.

Good luck in your endeavors!

thanks I'll probably just end up putting only my work experience from high school on. I had a bunch of other stuff I did but doesn't seem all that important know that I think about it.