Question about fellowships

Started by bla_3x
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

bla_3x

Grip it and rip it!
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
With the GI fellowships that I have seen (just using GI as an example) being 3 years in length, does this three year fellowship allways come after the complettion of the 4 years of IM or is the IM truncated to begin the GI? So, is it like ~3 + 3 or 4 +3?
This may sound stupid, but I have heard conflicting reports from people that I work with here in the hospital, and I just would like to know for sure. Thanks
 
4 years of IM? Unless you do a chief year, IM residencies are 3 years. But to answer your question, you must complete your IM residency in order to get certified in IM, then go on to subspecialize in a fellowship. their is no truncated fast-track