Question about finding the most acidic proton from OCHEM Destroyer

CherryBlossom1412

May 5, 2017
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
Hi! I have a question on #126 from DAT destroyer 2017 edition.
I'm having trouble identifying the most acidic proton here. I was trying to follow Chad's CARDIO mneumonic
(C - charged, A - atoms, R- resonance , D - dipole induction, and O - orbital)
so for this question, all protons attach to the same atom which is C which has no charge so i focused on resonance.

But then I got confused since A, D and E can form resonance. I was trying to use the logic that the most stable conjugate base is the strong acid but then I got stuck deciding which one is the best resonance.

the explanation at the end of the book is saying that vinylic and aldehylic protons aren't very acidic so D and E are eliminated, but I don't understand why. I got this question right (i believe it's by luck) because i remember other question from destroyer that carboxylic acid H is very acidic.

If anyone could explain how to approach this problem using CARDIO logic or any other logic, I would really appreciate it. Thank you!

Last edited:

O Cabra

2+ Year Member
May 18, 2017
Salt Lake City, UT
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
Protons D and E are not very acidic because the conjugate base will put a negative charge on carbon, which is not very stable and neither of the two have resonance. C would put a negative charge on Carbon as well, or with resonance it would put a positive charge on the oxygen which is not a good resonance structure because oxygen is electronegative. Between A and B the biggest factor would be that B is next to another CH2 group. Both A and B could resonate into the carbonyl group, but B has a CH2 group that is and electron donating group. The carbon for B would have a partial negative charge, and the adjacent CH2 group would add to that negative charge, which would make it a less stable conjugate base. Hope that explanation helps!

Reactions: 1 user

O Cabra

2+ Year Member
May 18, 2017
Salt Lake City, UT
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
Sorry i was mistaken. D would be able to resonate into the aldehyde carbon, but that would put two double bonds next to each other (C=C=C) which is not very stable. That's why it's not very acidic

orgoman22

DAT DESTROYER
Sponsor
Vendor
15+ Year Member
Mar 12, 2005
New York City
www.orgoman.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
Hi! I have a question on #126 from DAT destroyer 2017 edition (picture is attached).
I'm having trouble identifying the most acidic proton here. I was trying to follow Chad's CARDIO mneumonic
(C - charged, A - atoms, R- resonance , D - dipole induction, and O - orbital)
so for this question, all protons attach to the same atom which is C which has no charge so i focused on resonance.

But then I got confused since A, D and E can form resonance. I was trying to use the logic that the most stable conjugate base is the strong acid but then I got stuck deciding which one is the best resonance.

the explanation at the end of the book is saying that vinylic and aldehylic protons aren't very acidic so D and E are eliminated, but I don't understand why. I got this question right (i believe it's by luck) because i remember other question from destroyer that carboxylic acid H is very acidic.

If anyone could explain how to approach this problem using CARDIO logic or any other logic, I would really appreciate it. Thank you!

First ....protons C, D, and E are NOT acidic. Not a chance. An alkene proton has a pKa in the 40s, and the aldehyde hydrogen is even higher. Only two protons are acidic and they are A and B. Recall that in carbonyl chemistry, removal of the alpha hydrogen yields the resonance stabilized enolate. OK,,,,,Both are acidic, so who wins ? It turns out that when two alpha protons exist, kinetics wins out most of the time. It is EASIER for the base to remove proton A than for B. Refer to any organic t textbook and look at the Haloform reaction. This very same situation arises. The first proton is removed from the outside preferentially. The base has a much clearer path. Now.....these protons would have pKa values around 17 and 18 respectively. You should know a few other pKa values, and forget CARDIO ...which usually ends up having you more confused and getting a problem wrong. I teach my students the pKa values for the main functional groups..... Carboxy acids are 5... a diketone around 9...phenols and thiols around 10. alcohols around 16.....aldehydes and ketones around 17 and 18.....alkynes 25.....alkenes 45...and alkanes 55.

Hope this helps.

Dr. Romano

About the Ads

CherryBlossom1412

May 5, 2017
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
First ....protons C, D, and E are NOT acidic. Not a chance. An alkene proton has a pKa in the 40s, and the aldehyde hydrogen is even higher. Only two protons are acidic and they are A and B. Recall that in carbonyl chemistry, removal of the alpha hydrogen yields the resonance stabilized enolate. OK,,,,,Both are acidic, so who wins ? It turns out that when two alpha protons exist, kinetics wins out most of the time. It is EASIER for the base to remove proton A than for B. Refer to any organic t textbook and look at the Haloform reaction. This very same situation arises. The first proton is removed from the outside preferentially. The base has a much clearer path. Now.....these protons would have pKa values around 17 and 18 respectively. You should know a few other pKa values, and forget CARDIO ...which usually ends up having you more confused and getting a problem wrong. I teach my students the pKa values for the main functional groups..... Carboxy acids are 5... a diketone around 9...phenols and thiols around 10. alcohols around 16.....aldehydes and ketones around 17 and 18.....alkynes 25.....alkenes 45...and alkanes 55.

Hope this helps.

Dr. Romano

Thank you so much!

CherryBlossom1412

May 5, 2017
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
Protons D and E are not very acidic because the conjugate base will put a negative charge on carbon, which is not very stable and neither of the two have resonance. C would put a negative charge on Carbon as well, or with resonance it would put a positive charge on the oxygen which is not a good resonance structure because oxygen is electronegative. Between A and B the biggest factor would be that B is next to another CH2 group. Both A and B could resonate into the carbonyl group, but B has a CH2 group that is and electron donating group. The carbon for B would have a partial negative charge, and the adjacent CH2 group would add to that negative charge, which would make it a less stable conjugate base. Hope that explanation helps!

thank you!

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.