Question about gait

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Dreamer131

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi guys. I have this gait problem. I have pronation at the ankle during weight bearing and gait. I do have an arch but it collapses during weight bearing. I have been trying to run more in the past month (to increase my endurance and run 5 and 10Ks) or so and I am having quite a lot of pain during/after running. The pain seems to be on the medial-anterior side of my lower leg and the medial side of my ankle. I wear shoes with support and it seems to help my pronated gait somewhat but when I'm running I am definitely still pronating and I think this could be the reason for my pain.

What types of exercises or interventions would you do to help someone like this?
Clearly I should do some ankle strengthening exercises, especially inversion. Do you have any specific ideas?

Thanks in advance for any help!
 
Hi guys. A hypothetical patient has this gait problem. He has pronation at the ankle during weight bearing and gait. He does have an arch but it collapses during weight bearing. He has been trying to run more in the past month (to increase his endurance and run 5 and 10Ks) or so and he is having quite a lot of pain during/after running. The pain seems to be on the medial-anterior side of the hypothetical patient's lower leg and the medial side of his ankle. He wears shoes with support and it seems to help the hypothetical patient's pronated gait somewhat but when he is running he is definitely still pronating and I think this could be the reason for the patient's pain.

What types of exercises or interventions would you do to help someone like this?
Clearly I should have the hypothetical patient do some ankle strengthening exercises, especially inversion. Do you have any specific ideas?

Thanks in advance for any help!

:eyebrow: