Question about gap year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ian0322

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm kind of confused on what to do really and all of my friends don't know either. I could graduate this fall in 2 weeks and be done, or I could take a couple of classes, 1 being Human Physiology/Anatomy I, a required course at a couple of schools and graduate in the spring. I guess the reason everyone thinks I should stay one more semester is to try and get cum laude, having a 3.63 gpa and needing a 3.65 gpa to get that honors designation. I though for one don't necessarily care whether or not I get that but am more concerned on what else I would do that off semester. If you have any input I'd love to hear it. I mine as well throw out my stats and see what you think I should work on:

Overall GPA: 3.63
Science GPA: 3.44
DAT: 20AA, 19TS

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

I'm kind of confused on what to do really and all of my friends don't know either. I could graduate this fall in 2 weeks and be done, or I could take a couple of classes, 1 being Human Physiology/Anatomy I, a required course at a couple of schools and graduate in the spring. I guess the reason everyone thinks I should stay one more semester is to try and get cum laude, having a 3.63 gpa and needing a 3.65 gpa to get that honors designation. I though for one don't necessarily care whether or not I get that but am more concerned on what else I would do that off semester. If you have any input I'd love to hear it. I mine as well throw out my stats and see what you think I should work on:

Overall GPA: 3.63
Science GPA: 3.44
DAT: 20AA, 19TS
I think your stats are good. However after talking to numerous dental admissions, faculty, and students they like to see the all the sciences break 20's on the DAT.

As far as going for cum laude. If you really want it and want to do another semester for it. Go for it. Once you have a doctorate degree your undergrad distinctions really don't matter. Personally, I'd use that tuition money to travel. I'd backpack South America or Europe, or volunteer in a refugee camp health clinic.

I'd travel. I did a huge backpacking trip last summer (5 months) and loved it. Might do another one this summer. Nobody cares about the 3.65 distinction. It's completely worthless. If someone argues it will look good...imagine how a 3.6 and world experience would look. A million times better. Plus...when you're in dental school I guarantee you'll be wishing you let loose and traveled.

Members don't see this ad :)
The difference between a 3.63 and a 3.65 will be moot to adcoms. I would take an anatomy class like you said and get involved with some dentistry volunteer work/research. Save the tuition money and take a little break. The anatomy class/research/volunteering will be enough for adcoms to see that you're still looking to improve even when you don't have to.

Apply to reasonable number of school and I think you will receive plenty of interviews. Whether you get in or not will depend on how you interview.

Good luck!!

Thanks everyone! Yeah that was my plan and I think I will stick with it, I'm going to take the one class and get more volunteer dental hours/assisting with my general dentist. Heck maybe I will get out of the boring midwest and go somewhere warmer or even do some traveling in the mean time.
Thanks again!