Question about getting in-state tuition P2

Started by okaytran
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

okaytran

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys. I've applied all over. I'm a California native but I don't expect to be attending pharmacy here. I was just wondering if anyone knew about establishing state residency elsewhere. Is that frowned upon by the school? I read UNC and Oregon State's website and they talk about how you can get residency with 12 months of living in the state. But they're not really clear if that is invalidated enter P1 as an out of state student. I was just wondering if most people apply for state residency by P2?

Links to what I was referring to:
http://oregonstate.edu/admissions/main/residency
http://registrar.unc.edu/academic-services/residency/
 
Usually, you need to be an established resident by the time of "matriculation" or entering the university. There'd really be no point to in-state or out-of-state tuition if you could just apply for it after a year of classes.

So no. You can't.
 
I have friends who established residency and got in-state tuition after starting school, so it's possible.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have friends who established residency and got in-state tuition after starting school, so it's possible.
It's definitely possible. University of Colorado does this. At my interview they were talking about the P2 year as if everybody just gets awarded in state tuition once they've completed the first year. There's a few things you need to do to establish residency, but it's not bad. Essentially just change your license, car registration, pay CO state taxes, vote in an election, etc. The more you have, the greater your chance of establishing domicile. I'd assume that buying property in the state would pretty much guarantee you the tuition, but not many of us are exactly in a position to be buying houses/condos while in school.
 
Well I stand correct, sorry for being so dismissive. Anyway, from the links you provided, it states in the FAQs section that you may apply for a change is residency status. This seems to imply that you can apply for P2 year as long as you meet the requirements and deadlines.