1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Question about GPA calculation(Science).

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by 06mazdasports, May 10, 2007.

1. 06mazdasports

Well, I have spent quite some time using the search command trying to find some answers and I am getting some mixed conclusions.
    I am trying to determine what schools use to calculate SCIENCE GPAs.

I found a list through the AMCAS FAQ that states clearly what classes are BCP(biochem/bio/physio/immuno/physics, all the obvious courses that fall in bio, chem, and physics(BCP). BUT, they had a section under which says, OTHER SCIENCE COURSES which count for science gpa. This list contains(Food science, nutrition, etc etc).

My question is....when calculating my science GPA, would I count only my BCP, or would I could EVERY science class, meaning even my human nutrition, and food science classes, or would I just could my BCP as my science GPA?

Thanks so much!!

Anybody else getting anxious for early june?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. thanecyan

5+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    bump?

I'm wondering the same.

4. prionsRbad

prionsRbad Mooooo
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I'm kinda confused by your question . . . . :confused:

First of all, it's BCPM (biology, chemistry, math, physics) GPA. AMCAS, not individual med schools, will calculate your BCPM. First, you enter all of your grades in AMCAS and designate them math, biology, history etc. Second, AMCAS will verify everything once you submit your application (with transcripts).

It's my understanding that unless it's a biology, math, chemistry or physics class, it's not counted in your BCPM GPA. Nutrition classes don't seem like they would be biology of chemisrty? Your GPA breakdown ends up like this: Overall GPA, BCPM GPA, All other GPA. I believe the classes your talking about would fall into the "all other" GPA.

This is from AMCAS instructions:

Health Sciences (HEAL)

ß Allied Health
    ß Chiropractic
    ß Dentistry
    ß Hearing & Speech Sciences
    ß Hospital Administration
    ß Kinesiology
    ß Medical Technology
    ß Medicine
    ß Nursing
    ß Nutrition & Food Sciences
    ß Occupational Therapy
    ß Optometry
    ß Osteopathy
    ß Physical Therapy
    ß Physician Assistant
    ß Public Health
    ß Pharmacology & Pharmacy
    ß Sports Medicine
    ß Veterinary Medicine

So, nutrition is not BCPM.

5. MaximusD

MaximusD Anatomically Incorrect
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    For AACOMAS, count every strictly science class (not behavioral science, though). For example, my AACOMAS Science GPA included meteorology, nutrition, and even neuropsychology (which was borderline... mostly neuroanatomy and physiology)...

AMCAS did not.

6. thanecyan

5+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    AACOMAS counts every science?

So what's all this talk about AMCAS doing BCPM and AACOMAS doing BCP only?

Also, I took Psy Stats/Research, and will be taking Psychopharmacology and Cognition (these three classes are in the Psy Department).
    Will these count for science? (vs my other Psy courses like Human Mating, Child Psy, etc.)

7. prionsRbad

prionsRbad Mooooo
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I don't think psychology courses are considered "strictly science" . . . . they are behavioral science!

I've never heard of AMCAS doing BCPM and AACOMAS doing BCP only . . . where did you hear this?

8. EEL08

7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    AACOMAS counts your math classes with the rest of your non-science classes. On their site it lists which classes fall under which categories.

9. thanecyan

5+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    I heard about the BCPM/BCP discrepancy on this forum.

As for the psychology courses, I figured stats/research was strictly science since it was just half math statistics and half research methods utilizing the stuff we learned from statistics.

I also figured psychopharmacology was science since the entire class revolves around drug interaction.

Cognition was stretching it. :p

10. prionsRbad

prionsRbad Mooooo
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Yeah, I see what you mean. Well, if your grades are good in those classes, I'd try to add them to your science GPA! hehehe :D

I didn't know that math wasn't included in your science GPA for AACOMAS! Kinda weird . . . oh well!