Question about GPA calculation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yezzur

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys

i know lot of students ask about GPA...so here's another one.

I just recently graduated from a UC with a 2.9. and i realize i need to take more classes and somehow raise this GPA

So, and i moved back to Los Angeles, and i was wondering, if i re-take some science classes at a city college (SMC or LACC), would the grade be replaced? and change my gpa? or am i completely wasting my time and should be doing something else?

any recommendations?

THANKS!

Members don't see this ad.

hey guys

i know lot of students ask about GPA...so here's another one.

I just recently graduated from a UC with a 2.9. and i realize i need to take more classes and somehow raise this GPA

So, and i moved back to Los Angeles, and i was wondering, if i re-take some science classes at a city college (SMC or LACC), would the grade be replaced? and change my gpa? or am i completely wasting my time and should be doing something else?

any recommendations?

THANKS!

AACOMAS does replace old grades if you retake the class and do better. I dont know if there are any stipulations as far as taking the course at the same school you took at it the first time. I think you will be okay.

awesome..

so my next question is....

would it be better doing a MS in Biology at a cal-state and applying... or re-taking classes at a city college and applying .... taking time-factor as a consideration,

Members don't see this ad :)
AACOMAS does replace old grades if you retake the class and do better. I dont know if there are any stipulations as far as taking the course at the same school you took at it the first time. I think you will be okay.

wait.. it REPLACES the old grade if you retake a class?? it doesn't keep the old grade and just raise your gpa a little bit?:eek:

I called AACOMAS about the same question and they said you can retake a class at a different college or university and have it replace the previous grade. It just has to be a similar class with the at least equal amount or credits or greater

awesome..

so my next question is....

would it be better doing a MS in Biology at a cal-state and applying... or re-taking classes at a city college and applying .... taking time-factor as a consideration,

If you're considering the MS to boost your app, you will be INFINITELY better off by replacing your old grades by retaking them. Find the closest, cheapest school that offers the same classes as you previously took (with equal or great credit/semester hours, apparently), and get all A's. Your GPA will skyrocket quickly. :thumbup:

nice!!

but do you know what classes i should re-take...

like an UD bio class that i received a C on....or an easier class like g-chem or bild thati got a C on..

thanks!

nice!!

but do you know what classes i should re-take...

like an UD bio class that i received a C on....or an easier class like g-chem or bild thati got a C on..

thanks!

Well there are 3 options: 1. Start at the beginning. If you will have enough time to retake them all, you might as well do them chronologically. 2. If you only have time to do a few, you could do the lower division that you know you'll get A's in, to ensure the maximum GPA boost. 3. If you can only do a few and feel comfortable with your ability in upper division, go for these. They will help prove your case to schools, when they start really looking at your academic performance to determine your ability to "hang" in med school. Best --> Worst: 1, 3, 2. Check out the GPA calculator and the CIB to determine how many classes you need to retake to become competitive at schools you're interested in. You should be shooting for the greatest GPA boost possible, though, regardless of your potential school list.