Medical Question about GPA Repair and Applying to Medical School/MPH Program

Status
Not open for further replies.

MusicDOc124

Staff member
Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All- I was hoping to get some insight to see if I should continue to take more DIY postbacc classes/SMP or if I have done enough to apply to be somewhat of a viable candidate for medical school or even an MPH Program. I was homeless for a while in college struggled to maintain steady grades and have since pursued a DIY Postbacc at a UC Program.

Undergrad cGPA: 2.7 | sGPA 2.6 ( Life Science major at a Pre-Med UC)
Postbacc: sGPA: 4.0 60 quarter units
MCAT: 515
Some EC stats:
-Clinical + Lab Experience 4 years
-Published 5 papers including in well known journals both [clinical and translational work]
-Co-wrote successful NIH grants
-Very strong letters of Rec
-Worked as a Consultant for the World Health Organization on health policy issues and public health program development

Not sure if I should commit to an SMP/More DIY Postbacc/MPH or take a shot at applying for Med School. Would appreciate any feedback.

What are your total c and s GPAs including both regular undergrad and post-bacc.

Were all 60 credits science courses?
Combined undergrad and post-bacc: sGPA: 3.07 cGPA 3.21

52 credits were science (physio/chem/biochem) 8 credits math/advanced stats

Members don't see this ad.

It seems that you have indeed reinvented yourself OP.

I recommend the following.

Dartmouth
BU
Duke
Pitt
Mayo
Mt Sinai
Keck (maybe)
UCSF
EVMS
U Miami
Hofstra
Emory
Jefferson
Drexel
Albany
Tufts
NYMC
Your state schools
Rush
Loyola
Rosy Franklin
Tulane
Wake
MCW
SLU
Creighton
Wayne State
Netter
NYU.LI

Any DO program. I can't recommend Nova, Wm Carey, BCOM, ICOM and LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide. LMU has an accreditation warning, which concerns me. CUHS is too new and appears to be too limited in rotations sites. UIW refuses to post their Boards scores, which is fishy.

NOTE: do NOT make the mistake of one of my other advisees. S/he did as you did, but didn't apply to DO. They shut out, and now have lost a year of clinician's salary. Beggars can't choosers.

Members don't see this ad :)
It seems that you have indeed reinvented yourself OP.

I recommend the following.

Dartmouth
BU
Duke
Pitt
Mayo
Mt Sinai
Keck (maybe)
UCSF
EVMS
U Miami
Hofstra
Emory
Jefferson
Drexel
Albany
Tufts
NYMC
Your state schools
Rush
Loyola
Rosy Franklin
Tulane
Wake
MCW
SLU
Creighton
Wayne State
Netter
NYU.LI

Any DO program. I can't recommend Nova, Wm Carey, BCOM, ICOM and LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide. LMU has an accreditation warning, which concerns me. CUHS is too new and appears to be too limited in rotations sites. UIW refuses to post their Boards scores, which is fishy.

NOTE: do NOT make the mistake of one of my other advisees. S/he did as you did, but didn't apply to DO. They shut out, and now have lost a year of clinician's salary. Beggars can't choosers.

Yup. The money spent on a few DO apps is money in the bucket compared to your medical school debt. Put in the money.

Thank you so much for all your feedback and recommendations. It's been really helpful. I will definitely consider DO as well- at this point I am happy to get in to any med school. I'm 25 now.
@TheBoneDoctah yes that is correct it adds up to 1 year + a 15 units summer. I just wasn't sure if I should pursue 1 more year of classes.
@Goro How big of a difference would it make for them to do another year of classes to really show they have changed? Is one year enough?

I would say for DO, you wouldn't need to do another year for sure though. Let's see what @Goro says about another year for MD.

@Goro How big of a difference would it make for them to do another year of classes to really show they have changed? Is one year enough?

I would say for DO, you wouldn't need to do another year for sure though. Let's see what @Goro says about another year for MD.
One year would be enough, but I think that OP has shown that s/he could handle med school now, hence my list.

Status
Not open for further replies.