Question about GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HopefulTurnaround

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Let's say somebody has a 1.0 GPA and a 1.0 Science GPA.

They do an informal Post Bacc for roughly a year and a half of all Upper Div Science classes (biochem, immunology, cell bio, etc) and pull a 4.0

Is this considered 3.0+ by ADCOM on the application?

Because I don't see how anything can boost a 1.0 -> 3.0 when you sum everything up.

I don't have these stats. Just curious how the 3.0+ rule plays into this kind of situation.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It's considered whatever the cGPA ends up being. They will notice the upward swing.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Depending on how many credits hours they have. Normally, it takes about 120 ish to get a bachelors degree.

And if are at 1.0 cGPA with 122 hours .... booooooy, you got a long ways to get climb back up to anywhere respectable, let alone a 3.0.

That's how a formal post-bacc will help out. Since most science masters consists of higher level science classes, which is what admissions look at. If you pull a 4.0 in a master's program, you're doing alright. Might get schools to take another look at ya.

But let's face it, if you went 1.0 in undergrad, you aint pulling 4.0s in biochem and micro.

Depending on how many credits hours they have. Normally, it takes about 120 ish to get a bachelors degree.

And if are at 1.0 cGPA with 122 hours .... booooooy, you got a long ways to get climb back up to anywhere respectable, let alone a 3.0.

That's how a formal post-bacc will help out. Since most science masters consists of higher level science classes, which is what admissions look at. If you pull a 4.0 in a master's program, you're doing alright. Might get schools to take another look at ya.

But let's face it, if you went 1.0 in undergrad, you aint pulling 4.0s in biochem and micro.

Yeah I was just putting extreme numbers in. Thanks for the insight.