Question about GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kurk

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Say I'm taking 4 classes, 2 science and 2 liberal arts, but I only have enough time/energy to ideally to score the following possibilities:

A's in science classes; C's in liberal arts classes
B's in all classes

which combination look better assuming GPA is 3.0 for both combinations?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I though u took a break from SDN? Anyways there is no such "combo" that will make you look better if you are already limiting your own potential. Once you take your finals, then ask.

Straight A's would be best

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
No situation is ideal. You can get all A's just put in a little more effort.

Seriously? What counts as a normal, unprovoking thread for me?
I though u took a break from SDN? Anyways there is no such "combo" that will make you look better if you are already limiting your own potential. Once you take your finals, then ask.
I'm just trying to prioritize my classes. I thought science gpa is more important than the BS classes I wouldn't be taking anyway if they weren't required to graduate. I'm only taking a break from the "too long-term" career questions.
None of them look good enough for admission.
I know a 3.0 is at the bottom of the curve, but I just used this situation as a hypothetical in order see what should be prioritized. It's one of those "is it better to take all honor classes with B's or regular with A's" questions.

So far I'm off to a decent start. My first few quizzes and assignments have gone well, now I just need to not **** it up on big papers/exams.

I'm just trying to prioritize my classes. I thought science gpa is more important than the BS classes I wouldn't be taking anyway if they weren't required to graduate. I'm only taking a break from the "too long-term" career questions.

I know a 3.0 is at the bottom of the curve, but I just used this situation as a hypothetical in order see what should be prioritized. It's one of those "is it better to take all honor classes with B's or regular with A's" questions.

So far I'm off to a decent start. My first few quizzes and assignments have gone well, now I just need to not **** it up on big papers/exams.
Aren't you a freshman? Why are you planning your academic performance a handful of days into college. Hop off SDN for once. Look to your left and right while you're in class instead of posting on here, and make some friends in the next chapter of your life

Reactions: 5 users
Aren't you a freshman? Why are you planning your academic performance a handful of days into college. Hop off SDN for once. Look to your left and right while you're in class instead of posting on here, and make some friends in the next chapter of your life
I'm sorry if I gave off the wrong vibe; I just need to learn how to prioritize.

Also the two 1-credit labs I'm taking are still more important on a transcript than the liberal arts classes even though they affect the GPA less, right?

Also the two 1-credit labs I'm taking are still more important on a transcript than the liberal arts classes even though they affect the GPA less, right?
No you are way too high strung for a freshman. Did you know dentists have the highest suicide rate? You need to find friends and hobbies to help you relax and start acting like a freshman lol. Worry abt this stuff in 2 more years

And this might sound stupid, but when is it okay to haggle over points on a quiz/assignment/test? I've read on other threads that it's looked down upon by the profs and the few points gained aren't worth the damaged reputation. I also don't outright tell profs I'm pre-dent b/c I've also read that they get it worse than if you just say you want to get into a masters program. When I do, I just tell them I'm tentatively hoping to apply to dental school, but am open to other options like pursing a MS.

No you are way too high strung for a freshman. Did you know dentists have the highest suicide rate? You need to find friends and hobbies to help you relax and start acting like a freshman lol. Worry abt this stuff in 2 more years
The suicide stat is not true at all and has been debunked by various sources. I'm high-strung? You should check-out some of the pre-meds we have over here. I'm not joking, one of my pre-med HS classmates is in a class with me and they literally pretend to not know me b/c I was a lesser (not by much) student than them in high-school. Hobbies cost money which is something I don't have.

Now PLEASE don't derail this thread too. I just need a plain answer.

Members don't see this ad :)
The suicide stat is not true at all and has been debunked by various sources. I'm high-strung? You should check-out some of the pre-meds we have over here. I'm not joking, one of my pre-med HS classmates is in a class with me and they literally pretend to not know me b/c I was a lesser student than them in high-school. Hobbies cost money which is something I don't have.

Now PLEASE don't derail this thread too. I just need a plain answer.
Get a 3.5+ and start studying for your DAT now so you score a 30? There's no full proof way to get into dental school. And stop comparing yourself to others, maybe focus on improving yourself rather than gauging yourself to other people. If you want a specific and clear answer refer to the ADEA guide for accepted students for class of 2016 (2017 if available) pick your top school, look at its avg acceptance stats and try to be above that

Edit: kinda avoided your question sorry, science classes are more important than non-science but they're also usually easier, if you work on time management skills and better your study techniques you will have time for all of them. Realistically you should not have lower than a B+ in any science classes, if you get a C in anything, ANYTHING, retake it imho.

You should prioritize letting none of these things happen. It's like asking, "what's the best IA to have, drinking, smoking pot, or cheating?" None is good, you should prioritize getting none of the above.

You don't need to learn how to do anything. You're literally at the foot of your education. If you're stressed about your 2 science and 2 non science classes in freshman year, how are you going to deal with 30 credit hour semesters as a D1

Reactions: 2 users
When it comes to this situation, ideally you would want A's in all of them. However, to answer your question, if this happens, I would evaluate how efficient you can be in the time you have remaining. Study concepts that you don't know/high yield questions first. Be efficient with your time and don't just "prioritize" a single class because that will still hurt you down the road.

Whenever you sit down to study, start with efficiency because thats what college is about. i.e. how quickly you can learn while maintaining the quality of information. Dont spend hours staring at the textbook if you don't understand something and ask yourself if theres another source (youtube, tutoring, office hours) that can get you the same results with less time. If you try to take this approach from early on, you'll find that you'll have more time to give to all your classes.

4 Classes with 2 sciences is't bad at all. Get off SDN and get an A in all of them.

If you really don't think you have enough time and energy to get all As, get As in the liberal arts classes as they are way easier to get As in compared to science classes, and get Bs in the science classes. That's way better than spending so much time to get As in the science classes that you end up with Cs in liberal arts classes that anyone that tries should get As in.

In 4 years Kurk is going to look back and laugh at all this ...... assuming he is a normal human being lol

Reactions: 3 users
I would actually say try to get A's in the science classes and B's in the liberal arts classes, but aim for an A in everything. This is because the science GPA is usually viewed a bit harder then the overall GPA....

Also I do think lab is important because.... if it's in the prerequisites, I'd assume it's important. But lab is usually easy (unless you have a strict ta)..... so why worry.

Also, I wouldn't discredit the liberal arts classes as BS classes. A lot of them are really interesting and cool. Plus, I think almost every school requires 3-6 credits worth of English Comp, so obviously the dental schools don't see them as "BS".....

Reactions: 1 users
For some reason people tend to have lower sGPA which is very different my experience. I know Ive put more effort into my science classes so maybe that's why they came way easier than like core classes. I would make sure you're on top of your sciences. However I wouldn't want C's in all other classes. If you're able to get A's in sicence classes if you show up to other courses and just do the work you'll get B's. If you're getting all C's u either don't show up to class or don't turn in stuff. Just do the minimum study for tests and that should get you B's at least for other classes.
Also keep in mind every course depends on the prof a lot

I'm very doubtful I'd get a C in any class with my work ethic. I just used a hypothetical example. Thanks for the tips everyone who chipped in!

I will not let you down random users of SDN; I am aiming for A's and see no reason why I shouldn't be able to taking a 15 credit load with most of the classes being HS review thus far.
This video is a good analogy of the conversation between me, @Mad Jack , and the others telling me there is no excuse for anything less than a 4.0 first semester.

I'm very doubtful I'd get a C in any class with my work ethic. I just used a hypothetical example. Thanks for the tips everyone who chipped in!

I will not let you down random users of SDN; I am aiming for A's and see no reason why I shouldn't be able to taking a 15 credit load with most of the classes being HS review thus far.
This video is a good analogy of the conversation between me, @Mad Jack , and the others telling me there is no excuse for anything less than a 4.0 first semester.

I mean, get a 3.5. Hell, even a 3.3 you can recover from. But your earliest classes are your easiest, so it is best to not put yourself behind the 8-ball just yet.

I mean, get a 3.5. Hell, even a 3.3 you can recover from. But your earliest classes are your easiest, so it is best to not put yourself behind the 8-ball just yet.
Depends on the school. At my school gen chem is ridiculously hard. It's a weed out course as well but for the most part I agree with you.

Depends on the school. At my school gen chem is ridiculously hard. It's a weed out course as well but for the most part I agree with you.
Doesn't matter what a weed-out course it is, adcoms are still looking fir B+ or better performance, ideally.

Hey your a freshman. Its important to get good grades but I would recommend to take a step back and enjoy college/life. I know its cliche to say this but it really is one of the best times of your life depending on how you make it. Just try your best but also realize that life is beyond just pure grades!

To answer your question.
Yes, it's better to get A's in science rather than Liberal Arts.

But when I went to school. Everything I learned was so fascinating for me (Minus the Biology)
-But now when I am preparing for the DAT, and reading physiology, I am fascinated again!-

But back to the topic. I enjoyed what I learned. I was so eager to learn more and more.

Liberal arts classes teach you a lot of things that science classes will not even touch.

So cherish the learning you will get from the liberal Art classes, one day you'll miss that.

To answer your question.
Yes, it's better to get A's in science rather than Liberal Arts.

But when I went to school. Everything I learned was so fascinating for me (Minus the Biology)
-But now when I am preparing for the DAT, and reading physiology, I am fascinated again!-

But back to the topic. I enjoyed what I learned. I was so eager to learn more and more.

Liberal arts classes teach you a lot of things that science classes will not even touch.

So cherish the learning you will get from the liberal Art classes, one day you'll miss that.
I understand. I just don't like wasting money and time on subject matter with no market value. It's a hobby in my mind.

I understand. I just don't like wasting money and time on subject matter with no market value. It's a hobby in my mind.
There are things in life that are priceless.
Knowlege is one of them.

Kurk, Just work hard. I would say that the science should take precedence, but you have the capability of getting A's in all the classes. It takes time to get adjusted at the college level, and in a year you'll think to yourself and realize how easy this semester actually was.

Getting straight B's will mean a 3.0 cumulative and science gpa. Getting A's in your Science and C's in your liberal arts will mean a 3.0 cumulative and a 4.0 Science. It seems that the latter would be the better option. However, a 3.0 cumulative GPA will make it hard for you to get acceptances. We all have to to take those classes that aren't applicable to our careers, dental schools will favor the students who have done well in their science courses AND their other courses. This will help them know that they will be able to handle the intense load of dental school. This might sound harsh, but if you can't handle the load of 4 classes, maybe dental school isn't for you. ‍♂️

You're commiting the ultimate waste of time and money by not taking every class seriously when your OGPA is one of the 3 biggest factors that will dictate whether you are able to get into dental school, which is your entire basket of eggs when it comes to "market value". As someone else pointed out, if you have trouble navigating 14 credit hours now, how do you think 30-36 will feel in dental school? You think you're being pragmatic and prepared with how much you overthink things, but it doesn't help you the slightest bit if you're not thinking in a manner conducive to success at your goal. If you're working your ass off all day to dig a ditch, but you're using a straw to dig, all you've done with your day is to waste it. All your hand wringing and obsessing is just furious straw-digging. The shovel is right there. Grab it.

Reactions: 2 users
I understand where he comes from. I used to be an excessive planner, thinking far beyond where I needed to. I found myself enjoying doing this planning, always looking forward to the next thing. But then I realized that

1. Some things are way out of your control and you just need to take things as they go
2. You miss out on a lot if you're just constantly thinking ahead

Thinking ahead is good, but you have to know when it's practical to do so and when it isn't. A lot of the time, planning so much farther away from the short term is just inefficient and a waste of time