Question about H-1B Visa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

matheuscarneir0

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

There are some residency programs that requires a preliminary or transitional year (PGY-1), for example radiology or anesthesiology. In the majority of cases, at the end of this year, you'll move to your new residency program (PGY-2), which is located in another hospital. In a possible scenario where you got a match in the same year for preliminary/transitional (PGY-1) in a hospital H-1B Sponsor and radiology (PGY-2) in a non-H1B sponsor, If I get the h-1b visa sponsored by the first hospital (PGY-1), will I lose it when I change to the PGY-2 Hospital which is a non-H1B sponsor?
I know the H-1B Visa works for 3 years and could be renewed, but in order to maintain the Visa the two hospitals need to sponsor or only one is necessary?

Best Regards

Members don't see this ad.

First of all, your initial assumption isn't exactly correct. Many programs that require a prelim have arranged it so you can get a prelim at the same spot -- sometimes by syncing their rank lists, sometimes by creating linked programs in NRMP.

Regardless, the answer to your question is "maybe". H visas are employer specific. If your first employer gets you an H visa, it's only good for that employer. Your second employer will need to get you a new H visa. Getting a second H (for a new employer) is relatively easy if you already have an H, but it's work your 2nd employer would need to do. If your 2nd employer does not sponsor any H visa at all, then you're out of luck. Some institutions won't sponsor a new H but will sponsor someone who is already on an H.

This all assumes that a program that takes you for a 1 year prelim is willing to get you an H visa. It's quite expensive and time consuming for a 1 year position. And, this year, there have been all sorts of H visa problems and delays.