Question about healthcare experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lancerdancer01

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am going to be graduating from a respiratory therapy program in May and was wondering if having the previous healthcare experience will benefit me when applying to pod schools. Also, I am going to take a year off when I graduate to work and take organic chem and biochem and was wondering if taking them at a community college would be looked down upon by pod schools. I currently have a 3.9 gpa so the only reason i want to take the classes at the community college is to save some money.

Members don't see this ad.

yes the previous health care will only make your application more positive. There is nothing wrong with taking a year off and as long as your grades are sound then you should have nothing to worry about taking classes at a community college. You should also take time to shadow a podiatrist as some school may require a lettero of recommendation from one. good luck!

Why not get some podiatric experience first? This will really help determine whether or not you really wanna make this financial and life commitment. Just a quick question - if you're going for R.T., then why do you not wanna take it a step higher and do Pulmonology and Critical Care?

Members don't see this ad :)
I have thought about pulmonary or critical care medicine and anaesthesia but podiatry seems a little more interesting to me. I do need to follow a pod yet to get a full understanding of what podiatry is and then make my decision though. Next week I do our clinical rotation through the O.R. and I get to intubate patients before surgery so that will give me a good idea about anaesthesia.

I have thought about pulmonary or critical care medicine and anaesthesia but podiatry seems a little more interesting to me. I do need to follow a pod yet to get a full understanding of what podiatry is and then make my decision though. Next week I do our clinical rotation through the O.R. and I get to intubate patients before surgery so that will give me a good idea about anaesthesia.
How do those 4 specialties even remotely relate to each other? Why then, specifically, the lure of podiatry as you would define it? Just testing your mettle. ;)