lancerdancer01

10+ Year Member
Dec 5, 2008
North Dakota
Status
Other Health Professions Student
I am going to be graduating from a respiratory therapy program in May and was wondering if having the previous healthcare experience will benefit me when applying to pod schools. Also, I am going to take a year off when I graduate to work and take organic chem and biochem and was wondering if taking them at a community college would be looked down upon by pod schools. I currently have a 3.9 gpa so the only reason i want to take the classes at the community college is to save some money.

mildoc2016

resident
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 6, 2006
Illinois
Status
Attending Physician
yes the previous health care will only make your application more positive. There is nothing wrong with taking a year off and as long as your grades are sound then you should have nothing to worry about taking classes at a community college. You should also take time to shadow a podiatrist as some school may require a lettero of recommendation from one. good luck!

ohhyourgod

10+ Year Member
Sep 7, 2008
Orlando, Fl
Status
Pre-Podiatry
Why not get some podiatric experience first? This will really help determine whether or not you really wanna make this financial and life commitment. Just a quick question - if you're going for R.T., then why do you not wanna take it a step higher and do Pulmonology and Critical Care?

About the Ads

lancerdancer01

10+ Year Member
Dec 5, 2008
North Dakota
Status
Other Health Professions Student
I have thought about pulmonary or critical care medicine and anaesthesia but podiatry seems a little more interesting to me. I do need to follow a pod yet to get a full understanding of what podiatry is and then make my decision though. Next week I do our clinical rotation through the O.R. and I get to intubate patients before surgery so that will give me a good idea about anaesthesia.

GymMan

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Aug 8, 2008
The AWA baby!
Status
I have thought about pulmonary or critical care medicine and anaesthesia but podiatry seems a little more interesting to me. I do need to follow a pod yet to get a full understanding of what podiatry is and then make my decision though. Next week I do our clinical rotation through the O.R. and I get to intubate patients before surgery so that will give me a good idea about anaesthesia.
How do those 4 specialties even remotely relate to each other? Why then, specifically, the lure of podiatry as you would define it? Just testing your mettle. ;)

About the Ads