question about Hodgkin's lymphoma?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

carrigallen

16th centry dutch painter
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Our syllabus says that Hodgkins lymphoma results in T-cell mediated immune deficiency. This sounds weird, since I think that Hodgkin's lymphoma is a B-cell malignancy.

At the same time, it may make some sense, since Hodgkins lymphoma initially results from helper T-cells failing to destroy a transformed B-cell. Can anyone explain the mechanism of how Hodgkins impacts T-cell immunity?

We are doing microbiology, so we haven't covered any hematological malignancies yet. I'm just curious why Hodgkins would cause a T-cell mediated immune deficiency.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think the exact mechanism has been fully defined. Reed-Sternberg cells may produce cytokines that suppress T-cell action. The CD30 receptor which is present among all clonal tumor cells in Hodgkin's lymphoma directly inhibits T cell proliferation and is also thought to play a role. however, there are data which suggest that Hodgkin's itself is due to a defect in T cell mediated immunity against abnormal B cell clones (perhaps generated by EBV infection). So it may be something of a chicken-and-egg question.

thank you pikachu :thumbup:

pikachu said:
I don't think the exact mechanism has been fully defined. Reed-Sternberg cells may produce cytokines that suppress T-cell action. The CD30 receptor which is present among all clonal tumor cells in Hodgkin's lymphoma directly inhibits T cell proliferation and is also thought to play a role. however, there are data which suggest that Hodgkin's itself is due to a defect in T cell mediated immunity against abnormal B cell clones (perhaps generated by EBV infection). So it may be something of a chicken-and-egg question.

Good answer! Couldn't have said it better myself. :)