question about in-state residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

gmoneytalks

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
this is probably being extremely paranoid, but.....

i am a resident of Texas and would be happy to go to almost school in Texas. i have 2 interviews coming up this week at UTMB and UT-H. I'm a Ph.D. student at UT-Austin, but working in New Mexico at Los Alamos National Laboratory where I will finish my dissertation this coming May. I'm also volunteering in santa fe.

I am wondering if telling my interviewers about my temporary job and volunteer work in New Mexico when they ask me what I'm currently doing will cause them to say, "He hates Texas, we're gonna shove out-of-state tuition up his butt."

Once again I'm almost sure this is paranoia, but the possible consequences are huge so I figure I would ask all you wise nontrads. Thanks so much. 😀

-G
 
Not at all... as it happens, your interviewers have nothing to do with your state residency.

There's a paperwork process (there's always a paperwork process!) In this case, you fill out a questionnaire and send it to a State Office For Deciding These Things in Austin. The way it seemed to work for me was that TMDSAS more or less took my word for it for admissions purposes, and then the school had to get this approval from the state office before they officially charged me Texas tuition.

I applied as a Texas resident -- due to military service, having only lived 1 year out of the last 12 in Texas. Nobody blinked. It will help if you can say (honestly!) like I could, that ultimately you would really like to settle down and practice in Texas. If you can't, don't bring it up, and most interviewers won't remember to ask.

this is probably being extremely paranoid, but.....

i am a resident of Texas and would be happy to go to almost school in Texas. i have 2 interviews coming up this week at UTMB and UT-H. I'm a Ph.D. student at UT-Austin, but working in New Mexico at Los Alamos National Laboratory where I will finish my dissertation this coming May. I'm also volunteering in santa fe.

I am wondering if telling my interviewers about my temporary job and volunteer work in New Mexico when they ask me what I'm currently doing will cause them to say, "He hates Texas, we're gonna shove out-of-state tuition up his butt."

Once again I'm almost sure this is paranoia, but the possible consequences are huge so I figure I would ask all you wise nontrads. Thanks so much. 😀

-G
 
Pemberley,

Awesome, thanks for the advice. If I go to a TX school I can honestly say I'd like to stay in TX to practice so I'll mention it.

Not at all... as it happens, your interviewers have nothing to do with your state residency.

There's a paperwork process (there's always a paperwork process!) In this case, you fill out a questionnaire and send it to a State Office For Deciding These Things in Austin. The way it seemed to work for me was that TMDSAS more or less took my word for it for admissions purposes, and then the school had to get this approval from the state office before they officially charged me Texas tuition.

I applied as a Texas resident -- due to military service, having only lived 1 year out of the last 12 in Texas. Nobody blinked. It will help if you can say (honestly!) like I could, that ultimately you would really like to settle down and practice in Texas. If you can't, don't bring it up, and most interviewers won't remember to ask.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Not too many NM folks around here, even if you're just temporary 😉 I live in Albuquerque 🙂

I don't think it's a big deal at all. So you're here for a short time, but that doesn't have anything to do with your residency status, as Pemberley pointed out. Just don't make any attempts to gain NM residency (drivers licence, register to vote, etc) and TX will still be all yours. If anything, you can use your experiences here in NM to make a better case about why you want to practice in TX. It's a little easier to believe someone is sincere about staying put when they already have experiences from elsewhere.
 
Not at all... as it happens, your interviewers have nothing to do with your state residency.

There's a paperwork process (there's always a paperwork process!) In this case, you fill out a questionnaire and send it to a State Office For Deciding These Things in Austin. The way it seemed to work for me was that TMDSAS more or less took my word for it for admissions purposes, and then the school had to get this approval from the state office before they officially charged me Texas tuition.

I applied as a Texas resident -- due to military service, having only lived 1 year out of the last 12 in Texas. Nobody blinked. It will help if you can say (honestly!) like I could, that ultimately you would really like to settle down and practice in Texas. If you can't, don't bring it up, and most interviewers won't remember to ask.
Pemberley,
I'm in the military now and am stationed in Washington DC. I live in MD but have PA residency for tax reasons. My wife is from TX and I'd like to go to medical school in TX and practice there. How did you get TX residency for application and tuition purposes? I went to Rice in Houston for 4 years but have never had official TX residency status. Any advice?
 
Pemberley,
I'm in the military now and am stationed in Washington DC. I live in MD but have PA residency for tax reasons. My wife is from TX and I'd like to go to medical school in TX and practice there. How did you get TX residency for application and tuition purposes? I went to Rice in Houston for 4 years but have never had official TX residency status. Any advice?

Ice9 is largely right about the 12-month rule (not about your incapacity to know where you want to live, of course.)

Being in the military allows you to retain your state residency even if the military has moved you elsewhere. I started to tell you that military service would not provide the opportunity to establish your state residency while living elsewhere, but it looks like I may not have been correct.

Go to http://www.collegefortexans.com/residency/
The top link is the rules and regulations; the bottom link is the questionnaire that you will have to fill out and send in before matriculation. (Not, at least as of when I applied, before application. For the application process make a good-faith statement of where you think you ought to be classified.)

The "usual" military exemption (allows retention of state residency) is listed under 21.730(e) -- from what you've said, you don't fall into this category. This applies to people (like me) who established TX residency while living there, then carefully kept the home of record in TX and paid taxes in TX (that is to say, of course, didn't pay state income tax by virtue of being Texan 😉) ever since.

Assuming that you will have separated when you get to medical school, there's a different paragraph that might be interesting to you: 21.735(10)(F).
I really don't know anything about this, especially about the paperwork cited in 21.735(10)(F)(i). Let me know what you find out (I'm rather curious).

:luck: