Question about incomplete ERAS application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

otacon88

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So with the way my schedule works, if Sept 1st is the first day that ERAS applications open up, I will have everything in EXCEPT 1 SLOR and my Step 2 scores. If I submit my application the first day to residencies, will they still look at it and count it, or will it be considered an incomplete application until i get my last SLOR in and only view it then, thus making it not one of the early applications? (I'm taking an elective Oct where I will probably get my last SLOR).

Or am i completely messing up how this application process works?

Members don't see this ad.

Submit September 1, your LOR will get uploaded by your dean's office whenever it gets turned in and will electronically be added to your application. Step 2 scores you will have the option of just having them fill into your app whenever they are available or deciding based on the score whether or not you want to have them transmitted.

Side note: Half of my letters came in after September 1st and I transmitted my Step 2 scores in early Feb (one program liked to have them for ranking) and I got my first interview within 2 weeks of submitting without all my letters.

Last edited:
Most programs will still look at it unless they specify that they must have all LORs in. I'd still apply under the premise that largely interview invites are handed out on a rolling basis (unless you have glaring problems in your app) and do so early. Like many said in the 2011 match synopsis thread, interview invites can begin early or late, depending on the residency, but getting it in early puts you in better position to get your desired time slot and more of a chance to actually get an interview.

Ignore all deadlines. Really. Your apps should be in the first day they allow them to be submitted. Some programs only seriously look at apps transmitted the first week (missing lors and step 2 scores are okay for later. Your deadline should be the first day!

thanks for the replies. so on the flip side, what if I *hypothetically* have no SLORs in, but they are all in the process of being submitted? will I still be considered for an interview, or will having 0 or only 1 put me at a disadvantage as opposed to having all 3 and they will just bypass me?

thanks for the replies. so on the flip side, what if I *hypothetically* have no SLORs in, but they are all in the process of being submitted? will I still be considered for an interview, or will having 0 or only 1 put me at a disadvantage as opposed to having all 3 and they will just bypass me?

I'd have it all in that 1 week of 9/1.
I didn't do ER so I can't say for sure but I imagine having 1-2 in should be fine. Ask the EM forum

I didn't do EM either, but for med peds I had no LORs in when I submitted and started hearing from places 2 days later. I think prog coordinators play a larger role than we would think in selecting interview candidates and because of that they'd just assume get everything scheduled as quickly as possible.

From what I've heard from classmates who did EM, most people didn't hear from their first few programs until a couple weeks into it.

I would have all of your LORs assigned to programs by or near the deadline, though.