question about insulin...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ronaldo23

The Truth
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
from BR CBT 3

Elevated levels of glucose in the blood plasma trigger the release of insulin from the pancreas. The neurotransmitter directly responsible for insulin release is:

A. Norepinephrine.
B. Epinephrine.
C. Acetycholine
D. Glucagon

The answer is choice C. I thought it was epinephrine though. In the explanation it says that although epinephrine increases insulin secretion, is a hormone and not a neurotransmitter. But on wikipedia it lists epinephrine as a neurotransmitter as well...which is it?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
adrenalin is also a neurotransmitter in addition to a hormone. BR is wrong on this one i think, somewhat. what they're really asking you here (something you should always look out for) is whether you know it's sympathetic or parasympathetic response to "rest & digest". incidentally, it's the latter

Don't always trust what you read on Wikipedia without double checking their info as anyone can change the information on their site.

Epinephrine is a hormone, Wiki is the only place I've found that says it is a neurotransmitter also. But I read it acts as a neurotransmitter.

Don't always trust what you read on Wikipedia without double checking their info as anyone can change the information on their site.

Epinephrine is a hormone, Wiki is the only place I've found that says it is a neurotransmitter also. But I read it acts as a neurotransmitter.
incorrect, my neuro textbook says epinephrine, along with norepinephrine and dopamine, are neurotransmitters for catecholaminergic neurons.

wiki is a very reliable source.

Members don't see this ad :)
Epinepherine and norepinepherine can be hormones as well as NTs.

Also, I'm pretty sure C is correct because the pancreas would be stimulated by the PNS, whose postganglionic cells are all cholinergic, whether they be nicotinic or muscarinic.

incorrect, my neuro textbook says epinephrine, along with norepinephrine and dopamine, are neurotransmitters for catecholaminergic neurons.

wiki is a very reliable source.

If it is reliable then why doesnt my college accept it as a credible source? Anyone can edit the info, so they can change it and put incorrect info. Do you understand what I mean?

Ok, I'm reading their page about verifiability now.

If it is reliable then why doesnt my college accept it as a credible source? Anyone can edit the info, so they can change it and put incorrect info. Do you understand what I mean?

Ok, I'm reading their page about verifiability now.
i get what you're coming from completely, but the fact is that nature or science (don't recall at the moment) compared wiki to britannica and found fewer errors. it's as good as any source you'll come across IMO.

Epinephrine is a neurotransmitter and a hormone. Sympathetic postganglionic neurons release only norepinephrine, not epinephrine (because they don't have the enzyme PMNT but chromaffin cells do). Epi is released by chromaffin cells in the adrenal medulla, not neurons. However, epinephrine acts as an inhibitory neurotransmitter in the brain, if I remember correctly.

Hope this helps.

Epinephrine is a neurotransmitter and a hormone. Sympathetic postganglionic neurons release only norepinephrine, not epinephrine (because they don't have the enzyme PMNT but chromaffin cells do). Epi is released by chromaffin cells in the adrenal medulla, not neurons. However, epinephrine acts as an inhibitory neurotransmitter in the brain, if I remember correctly.

Hope this helps.
dude. you're a savant.