question about interview accessory...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thadarknyte

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
is it okay to take a leather portfolio with u with ur undergrads insignia on it to another schools interview? (esp if ur undergrad is affiliated with a medical school i.e penn state??)

sorry, random, haha

Members don't see this ad.

me and everyone else at my interviews had one of those. :) great conversation starter... "so you go to X?"

I'd be afraid to do that, considering my school has a medical school I'd be applying to as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd be afraid to do that, considering my school has a medical school I'd be applying to as well.

i know, thats why i am actually considering buying a new one tomorrow, but dammit, i only got it last year and paid like 30 bucks for it haha

maybe ill try to hide the insignia, cause i definately wont go without one, i think it makes u look professional and sexy

is it okay to take a leather portfolio with u with ur undergrads insignia on it to another schools interview? (esp if ur undergrad is affiliated with a medical school i.e penn state??)

sorry, random, haha

I'm not sure why that would matter. The admissions people and the interviewers can get what school you go to by glancing at your AMCAs. You'll probably end up telling the other interviewees what school you go to anyway as that is the most popular questions I've heard yet. Anyway, you can always show some school spirit. I didn't buy one from my school because I wanted a blank one, but that's me. Also if I had a school logo on my portfolio I don't think I'd be able to use it when I graduate because it'd just be weird for me.

I've definitely heard some downtalk if you're an ivy leager or other high tier school attending an interview at a much lower tier- the reactions automatically jump to the conclusion that this particular school may be just a safety school. However, I have yet to see any of this myself, and havn't heard too many stories of an interviewer specifically pointing out a portfolio's insignia (mine is stamped onto a leather cover, without color so its unnoticeable- perhaps yours is like this as well?). I say bring it, there's no shame in having a portfolio with your school's insignia on it- unless of course, you were from Ohio state and applying to Michigan schools and vice versa :laugh: (goes with any other rival sports states/schools)

You don't have to take a thing. Most schools give you a folder with bunch of info in it so anything you take in addition will just get in the way.

I've definitely heard some downtalk if you're an ivy leager or other high tier school attending an interview at a much lower tier- the reactions automatically jump to the conclusion that this particular school may be just a safety school. However, I have yet to see any of this myself, and havn't heard too many stories of an interviewer specifically pointing out a portfolio's insignia (mine is stamped onto a leather cover, without color so its unnoticeable- perhaps yours is like this as well?). I say bring it, there's no shame in having a portfolio with your school's insignia on it- unless of course, you were from Ohio state and applying to Michigan schools and vice versa :laugh: (goes with any other rival sports states/schools)

I can't speak for other interviewers, but I personally mark down every applicant who does not purchase a portfolio embossed with the name of my school. :p Seriously, though, I think a school/interviewer would have to have a major inferiority complex for one's choice of portfolio to be an issue, particularly if it is from one's undergraduate institution. (Of course if you are a jackass and wave around the portfolio in your interviewer's face while coughing "Harvard" or "Cornell" all bets are off...)

sorry, random, haha

That's fine. A lot of schools will make you wear a name tag that indicates your undergrad anyhow. Just make sure it looks professional.