question about interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gogobruin

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
My friend told me that he had to write an essay for interview. Is that true? Which schools require that? I am a scond language learner, and not good at writing. How should I prepare for it?
Thanks!

It's really nothing much to worry about. Schools just want to make sure that you can write, and communicate through words.

I know MWU, Buffalo required short essays.

Pittsburgh as well requires a timed essay (10 mins) during the interview. They give you a random, non-dental topic and you write while you're there. Ours was "Describe the best year of your life".

The admissions secretary, Rose, said that they did it to make sure you could write well since they assume you've had multiple revisions to your PS statement and thus probably had help from other people when writing it.

You could always practice timed writing samples with friends before your interview. Reading fiction is also helpful in grasping the flow of written English.

Members don't see this ad :)
The admissions secretary, Rose, said that they did it to make sure you could write well since they assume you've had multiple revisions to your PS statement and thus probably had help from other people when writing it.

The exact same reasoning was given at UMich.

That being said, add UMich and USC to the list.

Personal statements should only be used to look more deeper into a persons personality and their goals/motives. Trying to judge ones essay writing and English skills through PS statement is just silly. I hope they make interviewees write an essay mostly to get an idea of their thought process, and not to see if their english writing skills reflect the PS.

Personal statements should only be used to look more deeper into a persons personality and their goals/motives. Trying to judge ones essay writing and English skills through PS statement is just silly. I hope they make interviewees write an essay mostly to get an idea of their thought process, and not to see if their english writing skills reflect the PS.

Well... All the essay topics at the USC interview (a few different ones randomly given to the students) were very simple topics:

-Describe the last book you read.
-Describe your best friend.

I don't know what else they'd be able to get out of these topics besides writing skills. With the PBL curriculum, and necessity to write learning packets all the time, writing skills at USC would be very important.

Well... All the essay topics at the USC interview (a few different ones randomly given to the students) were very simple topics:

-Describe the last book you read.
-Describe your best friend.

I don't know what else they'd be able to get out of these topics besides writing skills. With the PBL curriculum, and necessity to write learning packets all the time, writing skills at USC would be very important.

MWU had 3 topics from what I can remember. One of them being issues on global warming.

Last edited: