Question about interviews..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chefgirl

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Joined
Jun 21, 2006
Messages
31
Reaction score
0

Members don't see this ad.
Hello there,

I have applied to several DO schools this past month. For some schools the application had been completed by the first week in February. For 2 other schools the application will be complete next week when my DO sends out his recommendation.

So here is my dilemma:

I have a family member's wedding out in California in Mid-march (16th). I had no second thoughts about going until it finally hit me that I might have interviews then. My whole family has booked their tickets, and I would like to as well.

Do you think, with my application being completed so late, that I would still receive interviews that week? I know they usually give one month's notice, but since most interviews end in March, I don't know if I can expect that.

So I just wanted to ask, how long after your application was complete did you receive an interview?

Also, how do you think I should ask the admissions committee this? I don't want to come off as not interested in the interview in case it does indeed happen to take place during those days.

My stats are pretty good. 28 MCAT, 3.5 GPA, 3.3 Science.

Please let me know what to do. I am torn. I really want to attend the wedding, but at the same time, I don't want to miss or delay a potential interview. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks :)
 

noshie

Don't judge!
15+ Year Member
Joined
Mar 23, 2006
Messages
1,573
Reaction score
124
First of all, I am guessing this wedding is not during the week. Med schools usually dont interview on Saturdays from what I have heard on here. They also keep doing interviews til April or May so you could ask for a later date, but really I feel at this point all interviews are for waitlists (confirmed by a few schools I called). So buy your ticket but only stay the weekend. Have fun!!
 

Chefgirl

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Joined
Jun 21, 2006
Messages
31
Reaction score
0
thanks for your reply. The tickets are about $500 so I was hoping to stay a couple of extra days if I happened to go, but I guess that's not a good option.

Also, which schools did you confirm the waitlist situation with? Thanks :)
 

spicedmanna

Full Member
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Joined
Aug 22, 2006
Messages
5,820
Reaction score
17
I have similar stats as you. My primary was complete somewhere early December. Within two weeks I received a pre-secondary invite from one school and from another a few weeks after that.

Well, usually, it is possible to change the date of your interview, if you should be selected, but since you are applying so late, I don't know what to say. However, since you can't predict what will happen, I'd plan on going to the wedding. You should tell everyone that there is a possibility that you will need to bail due to a medical school interview, however. I think they would understand given that this is a crucial event in your life. I'd take the loss on the travel tickets for the wedding, if needed. A chance to go to medical school is more important than a few hundred dollars. Besides, some airlines may be willing to change the destination and travel dates with appropriate notice.

My upcoming interview at COMP is scheduled for March 15 and I received a pre-secondary interview shortly after my primary was mailed out to the schools on 12/17/2006. That's all I know about COMP.

I'm not sure of any of the above information will help, but I wish you good luck! :)
 

noshie

Don't judge!
15+ Year Member
Joined
Mar 23, 2006
Messages
1,573
Reaction score
124
Also, which schools did you confirm the waitlist situation with? Thanks :)

I think it was VCOM and KCUMB. I had a thread on this but I swear I can never find anything when I search.
 

Lfribble

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Joined
Feb 14, 2007
Messages
201
Reaction score
0
I agree with spicedmanna. Plan on going to the wedding, don't extend the trip too long. I've had to move around interview dates with a school and they were fine, so if they offered you a day when you are in Cali, you could check to see if they have another date available. If worst comes to worst, you'd have to eat the $500 which stinks, but....
 
Top