question about jobs for DO anesthesiologists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nims

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering what the employment availability is like for a DO anesthesiologist in the southwest. How often do anesthesia groups hire DOs in the southwest (new mexico, texas, arizona) Do they tend to just hire MDs. BTW, I'm assuming the DO did a MD residency. As a DO with a MD residency would you be competitive for hire, or would the group be likely to maintain an all MD staff for the sake of having a more prestigious group. Also, I’m talking about medium to larger markets, not incredibly rural places.

Thanks a lot for any help

Members don't see this ad.

militarymd said:
I hope you are not trolling.

I think it's a legitimate question, especially considering the fact that you openly discriminate against DOs in your hiring practices.

Members don't see this ad :)
DrRobert said:
I think it's a legitimate question, especially considering the fact that you openly discriminate against DOs in your hiring practices.

Too bad Alpha_Male (DO anesthesiologist) got banned....he would tell you that I hired him.....and offerred him a pretty damn good deal.

So, how does one openly discriminate against DOs and yet offer them jobs?

Here is what I disciminate against:
1) lazy
2) poor communication skills
3) lazy
4) those who are not persuing ABMS certification
5) lazy
6) wants special treatment
7) lazy

I openly tell people that I discrimnate against the above listed attributes.

Being a DO is not listed.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=239911&page=1&pp=25

Many MDs and DOs perused this thread. Anyway you slice it, you admitted that you prefer a MD candidate over a DO candidate.

Towards the end you tried to backtrack and state that you only discriminate against the AOA anesthesiology boards, not the degree itself. However, by that time it was too late to go back.

To answer the original question for Texas, the majority of DO's I have met have not had trouble finding jobs in Texas cities. There are some groups I know of that will not hire DO's. That doesn't seem to be a prevalent practice, however it exists.

UTSouthwestern said:
To answer the original question for Texas, the majority of DO's I have met have not had trouble finding jobs in Texas cities. There are some groups I know of that will not hire DO's. That doesn't seem to be a prevalent practice, however it exists.

Thanks. That's what I was wondering.

Sorry to those who got defensive, I did not know that was a "trolling" question.

DrRobert said:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=239911&page=1&pp=25

Many MDs and DOs perused this thread. Anyway you slice it, you admitted that you prefer a MD candidate over a DO candidate.

Towards the end you tried to backtrack and state that you only discriminate against the AOA anesthesiology boards, not the degree itself. However, by that time it was too late to go back.

Sorry, thats not what he said.

He said he didnt care if the candidate was an MD or DO, as long as they were ABA board certified.

If you are not ABA certified, you may find it difficult to gain partnership in some groups. My advice would be, train were ever you wish but pass the ABA boards and you should not have any problems.

militarymd said:
Too bad Alpha_Male (DO anesthesiologist) got banned....he would tell you that I hired him.....and offerred him a pretty damn good deal.

So, how does one openly discriminate against DOs and yet offer them jobs?

Here is what I disciminate against:
1) lazy
2) poor communication skills
3) lazy
4) those who are not persuing ABMS certification
5) lazy
6) wants special treatment
7) lazy

I openly tell people that I discrimnate against the above listed attributes.

Being a DO is not listed.

I would deduce from your prior posts, that you would add Mexican-American and African-American anesthesiologists on that list.

MedicinePowder said:
I would deduce from your prior posts, that you would add Mexican-American and African-American anesthesiologists on that list.

I dont think thats fair at all. While I dont always agree with mil, he's made it reasonably clear that his hiring preferences involve ABA board certification, and little else. DO's who are ABA-certified would likely not have a problem.

MedicinePowder said:

That's right... a minority physician would discriminate against other minorities
nuts2xg.gif

Members don't see this ad :)
militarymd said:
That's right... a minority physician would discriminate against other minorities
nuts2xg.gif

HAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHA

sorry. I know this is a serious discussion. Just cant stop looking at Mil's stupida ss dude shooting himself in the head...

HAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!

Wow Mil, there seems to be quite a few folks pissed at you! Personally, I think they are reading too much into your posts but what do I know, I have only been out of residency about 5 years. However, the ones that seem to be offended are fresh grads and residents (maybe some outliers) so we shall see how things pan out for them in the future.
I see nothing wrong in your qualifications/discriminations. And as you know I will not tolerate laziness as well.

Wow Mil, there seems to be quite a few folks pissed at you! Personally, I think they are reading too much into your posts but what do I know, I have only been out of residency about 5 years. However, the ones that seem to be offended are fresh grads and residents (maybe some outliers) so we shall see how things pan out for them in the future.
I see nothing wrong in your qualifications/discriminations. And as you know I will not tolerate laziness as well. :thumbup:

Noyac said:
I see nothing wrong in your qualifications/discriminations. And as you know I will not tolerate laziness as well. :thumbup:

I'm not sure why the folks are so sensitive. I give it to you straight. I don't mince words.

I'm not into political correctness. I'm into just being correct.

I understand practicing anesthesia is a business, and therefore a lot of the things we do involves business related decisions.....i.e. keeping customers happy (internal and external)

I'm pissing some folks off here in the forum, but in real life....meaning my practice...my philosophy is greeted with enthusiasm and, more importantly, more and more business for my group and the hospital.

I know what the pissed off folks will say........"its Alabama, what do you expect?"

militarymd said:
I'm not sure why the folks are so sensitive. I give it to you straight. I don't mince words.

I'm not into political correctness. I'm into just being correct.

I understand practicing anesthesia is a business, and therefore a lot of the things we do involves business related decisions.....i.e. keeping customers happy (internal and external)

I'm pissing some folks off here in the forum, but in real life....meaning my practice...my philosophy is greeted with enthusiasm and, more importantly, more and more business for my group and the hospital.

I know what the pissed off folks will say........"its Alabama, what do you expect?"

Don't you appreciate the irony of being so critical of D.O.s who claim they are board certified by obtaining certification via the AOBA route and yet you have someone working for you who has done just that? Isn't that a bit hypocritical?

The_Sensei said:
Don't you appreciate the irony of being so critical of D.O.s who claim they are board certified by obtaining certification via the AOBA route and yet you have someone working for you who has done just that? Isn't that a bit hypocritical?

1) I'm not critical of DO's. I actually have a couple of residents (DO's) that I trained who I'm recruiting.

2) The AOBA guy was here before me, and I'm in the process of addressing that issue.

militarymd said:
1) I'm not critical of DO's. I actually have a couple of residents (DO's) that I trained who I'm recruiting.

2) The AOBA guy was here before me, and I'm in the process of addressing that issue.

What will you do to "address" that issue? Can someone that's been out for a while still be eligible for an ABA certification? (assuming they are AOBA certified?)

I would think it would entail a full residency versus just passing the oral and written exam(s), no?

If you went to an allopathic training program then pass the damn allopathic anesthesiology boards for cryen out loud. If you don't then study harder. If you still don't then you should reconsider what the hell you are doing. BIG BLUE is out there you know.

Mil is expressing his own opinions and preferences. From reading these (and the other thread of the same nature), I would say he has worked very hard in life, earned his credentials, and has joined a dying breed or a very stubborn minority philosophy of MDs who still cling defiantly to their superiority secondary to the alphabetic letters behind their name. I mean, it doesn't matter to Mil whether you got your MD in Honduras, or one of the MBBSs (come to US, name tags changed to MD immediately), or top 1 pecentile at ivy league US schools. The letters behind your name absolutely put you on the 'bell-curve" that 'overlaps with DO and CRNAs'-wow. you just cannot argue that definitive explanation.

I do belive Mil is in the minority of the hiring partners across the US, but he may refute this to me. One thing I do know for a fact is that DOs and MDs are flocking to anesthesia, and back while gas wasn't so 'cool', many DOs took the opportunity to get in, and now have apparently proven themselves thus firmly entrenching our position in the field. Personally, even if I were an MD, I would much rather see DO physician interest/influx than fight the (losing?) battle we all face with CRNAs!

Last note, I don't know ANY starving DO anesthesiologists out (even the DO residency-trained.) Just the other day I was chuckling beneath my mask, when the highest volume, top ten highest State of Oklahoma-paid employees, orthopods was griping how 'some DO anesthesia-pain doc I know makes THREE times more than me!"

Good night to all!

timtye78 said:
Mil is expressing his own opinions and preferences. From reading these (and the other thread of the same nature), I would say he has worked very hard in life, earned his credentials, and has joined a dying breed or a very stubborn minority philosophy of MDs who still cling defiantly to their superiority secondary to the alphabetic letters behind their name.

If you really think that that is how I feel based on my posts, then YOU have a massive inferiority complex that you need to see a therapist for.

If I had a inferiority complex, then I would not be practicing medicine, or wasting my life being a student of medicine and anesthesiology. In other words, if the DO degree was not able to get me where I am today, I would have pursued the MD.

The DO degree is the degree that will allow me to earn hundreds of thousands of dollars for the rest of my life, and bring comfort to patients in pain, save lives, and to enjoy the intellectual challenges of the human body and fight injuries/disease.

Many, many MDs I knew as a premed told me point blank that if I chose to accept the seat in DO school I would receive an excellent medical education, obtain residency training in virtually any field, and make the same amount of money.

No, I do not regret my decision at all. The only reason I even address this issue at length is because there are premeds on here, MD students, DO students, as well as residents (even a few lurking CRNAs). Seriously, folks, we do need to learn to work together-because we will.

Hey Mil, if you can't fathom giving us DOs our props, then we'll just tell everyone we will work for less, possibly edging you old-skool MDs out before the CRNAs do! (j/k-I won't work for any less)

I think everyone needs to calm down... MD's and DO's are both physicians who are on the same side of an overwhelming majority of issues. There are larger fish to fry in health care these days. Afterall, we all may be working for the same socialized medical system if we don't keep our priorities straight.

If you *REALLY* want to go back to the root cause of the genesis of two separate medical training pathways in the USA (BTW, the only country in the world to sanction this arrangement), then MD's are as much responsible for the creation of DO's as DO's are! Everything else is just history...maybe if the MD's at Baker University in Kansas in the 1800's would have given A.T. Still a few thousand dollars and kept him locked up in an anatomy lab (which is all he really wanted) none of this would have happened!

You may return to your regularly scheduled pissing contest.