This could get interesting…. (Legislation to make Anesthesiologists eligible for “Rural Pass-Through” money)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DirtDocMD

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

It’ll be interesting to see if this passes, if the AANA fights it, and what opportunities it opens up. As many of you know, the way the law currently stands, it essentially “incentivizes” rural hospitals to use CRNA’s rather than Docs. Thoughts??

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
Great news.

I suspect it won't make it out of committee but I hope it does. I don't see why it's fair to rural Americans to get inferior care when they could have the best for the same price!!!

Reactions: 8 users

It’ll be interesting to see if this passes, if the AANA fights it, and what opportunities it opens up. As many of you know, the way the law currently stands, it essentially “incentivizes” rural hospitals to use CRNA’s rather than Docs. Thoughts??

What would be the angle aana coming from though, publicly?

Members don't see this ad :)
Other than “cheaper cost”, I can’t think of a possible legitimate one….
The AANA is very politically savvy and shameless. I'm sure they'll raise a cost issue - e.g. the nurse anesthesiologists are already selflessly serving the rural population and the physician anesthesiologists just want to steal the government's money.

Reactions: 2 users
What would be the angle aana coming from though, publicly?
Their propaganda machine is constantly spewing crap about CRNAs are the "only" providers in most rural counties. They'll quote statistics like "71 counties in Texas don't even have anesthesiologists". Never mind that 71 counties in Texas don't have hospitals.

Reactions: 13 users
can someone with more knowledge on the matter explain how this even happened in the first place? how did it exclude us? are physician surgeons included in medicare pass thru