Question about K reading using keratometer. PLEASE HELP

Started by UWStudent
This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

UWStudent

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello Everyone.
I have a question about k reading on keratometer. Please help me,share with me your knowlege.

Thanks for your help.

1) The Bauch and Lomb keratometer (the 3 circles one) when we measured the radius, we would read Horizontal radius (AT) straight off the indicated axis. and the same for the verticle axis. So we reported: AT for both axis? I am not sure if i am correct?

for example the indicator said? 7.8x110 and 8.05x20 then I would report 7.8 AT 110 and 8.05 AT 20. or do i report ''ALONG'' FOR BOTH AXIS.

2) The Java Schiot keratometer (the red and green colour) when we measured the k, we reported ALONG axis? For example, if i got the first meridian reading 7.8 with the axis indicated 110, I then turn the axis to 20 and got the second reading of 8.05.

The correct way to report the K reading for this is:
7.8 ALONG 110/8.05 ALONG 20. So for the JAVA SCHIOT, we just report ALONG the axis indicated. Am I correct?

Thanks you very much for answering my questions.
 
Anytime you're talking about K readings, you use "at" not "axis". I've never heard use of the word "along" but it sounds like the same thing as "at". If you're talking about a prescription, that's when you say "axis".