Question about Letters of Rec

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vrk710

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm applying in the 2022 cycle and had a couple questions about letters of recommendation.

1. What is the easiest way to have them saved for application? One of my professors from last semester has written me a rec but I requested him not to date and submit the letter until June 1st, 2021 so it is within one year of applying in June 2022. People recommend interfolio, but is there any advantage to interfolio compared to just submitting directly to AMCAS? Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't I just ask my professor to submit straight to AMCAS in a few months since it says the 2022 form will open on May 3rd, 2021?

2. As of right now my letter spread is the following:

1. Science Professor
2. Science Professor
3. Nonscience Professor
4. Undergraduate Research PI
5. Gap Year Research PI

I was wondering if they would want a non-academic rec letter in there somewhere - would they prefer I get a service letter as well? I have been volunteering with an organization for a long time but don't have a particularly strong relationship with any one person to get a letter. I'm sure I could get a decent one if I spoke with a supervisor, but would it boost my application enough to be worth it, or is my current letter spread fine?

Members don't see this ad.

Does your school have a Health professions office/committee letter? It's usually the easiest just to route the process through them if they offer it. Not to mention, it can be looked at somewhat questionably if you have a committee but not a committee letter.

David D, MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Does your school have a Health professions office/committee letter? It's usually the easiest just to route the process through them if they offer it. Not to mention, it can be looked at somewhat questionably if you have a committee but not a committee letter.

David D, MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors
My school doesn't have a committee so I have to arrange them individually.