question about Letters of Rec

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lp08

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For my second science letter of rec, I was thinking about asking a professor who I do research with (and has openly told me that if I want a LOR then I shouldn't hesitate to ask him). However, I have never actually taken one of his classes (he is university faculty, but teaches graduate students and not undergrads (He a Microbiology professor). Would a letter from him count towards a legit science letter? Or should I ask a science professor who I've actually taken a class with, but doesn't know me very well? I get confused b/c the requirements say that a science letter needs to be university faculty and not some doctor you shadow, but they never specify whether they want you to have taken their class.

My first science LOR is a Genetics professor who I got an A in his class and have been working in his lab, under one of his PhD students, for 3 semesters...so I think this one is OK.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
For my second science letter of rec, I was thinking about asking a professor who I do research with (and has openly told me that if I want a LOR then I shouldn't hesitate to ask him). However, I have never actually taken one of his classes (he is university faculty, but teaches graduate students and not undergrads (He a Microbiology professor). Would a letter from him count towards a legit science letter? Or should I ask a science professor who I've actually taken a class with, but doesn't know me very well? I get confused b/c the requirements say that a science letter needs to be university faculty and not some doctor you shadow, but they never specify whether they want you to have taken their class.

My first science LOR is a Genetics professor who I got an A in his class and have been working in his lab, under one of his PhD students, for 3 semesters...so I think this one is OK.
Depends on the school... Please try the search function as well. I believe this question has come up in new threads twice in the past week.

^^

Can you guys(mods) start a new LOR thread for the upcoming application cycle? Or does it have to be started at a certain date? I see so many upcoming applicants posting in the old thread that it seems like a new thread right now would be more beneficial to us than those who are finishing up their cycle.

^^

Can you guys(mods) start a new LOR thread for the upcoming application cycle? Or does it have to be started at a certain date? I see so many upcoming applicants posting in the old thread that it seems like a new thread right now would be more beneficial to us than those who are finishing up their cycle.

Yup it's already been created and will be rolled out soon