Question about LOR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chad5871

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a quick question about an LOR. I currently attend VCU undergrad, and I know someone who is a physician and associate chair of one of the departments of medicine. This person has agreed to let me shadow them and help me find volunteer opportunities, etc. If this person writes me a letter of recommendation, would it be considered a physician LOR or a faculty LOR? I mean, this person is officially on faculty at my school, albeit the School of Medicine... Also, if I were to submit this LOR to VCU/MCV as part of my application, would this be looked down upon since she is involved with the medical school there? Thanks for any advice!

Members don't see this ad.

chad5871 said:
I have a quick question about an LOR. I currently attend VCU undergrad, and I know someone who is a physician and associate chair of one of the departments of medicine. This person has agreed to let me shadow them and help me find volunteer opportunities, etc. If this person writes me a letter of recommendation, would it be considered a physician LOR or a faculty LOR? I mean, this person is officially on faculty at my school, albeit the School of Medicine... Also, if I were to submit this LOR to VCU/MCV as part of my application, would this be looked down upon since she is involved with the medical school there? Thanks for any advice!
It is what it is: An LOR from a faculty physician is just that. No it would not be looked down upon at all. In fact, I would say it could only help you...since I assume he is well respected among his peers who are on the adcom.

If a school is asking for LOR from a faculty member what they want is someone who can address academic acheivement (as observed by the faculty member) and potential (based on the faculty member's experience with similar students). A faculty member who is not familiar with your performance in the classroom will not be able to address that in a LOR. So, such a letter would not meet the needs/expectations of an adcom that is looking for the perspective of one of the applicant's classroom teachers.

If they want a physician letter then they are looking for a physician's assessment of your demeanor and professionalism in clinical settings, your demonstration of a commitment to medicine, your curiosity and maturity. If your main interaction with a faculty physician is shadowing, then count that doc's LOR as a "physician letter" not a "faculty letter".