Question about LORs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anencephalic

Brainless User
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I've got a question about LOR's. I'm considering a path residency but won't be doing my path elective until well into interview season (Mid-November), so I'm at a loss for what kinds of LORs I should send to programs.

I've been an ASCP certified Path Assistant (PA-ASCP) and practiced for about 6 years prior to med school...do you think an LOR from my former chief pathologist would suffice for most programs? What about LORs from my med school path instructor(s)?

What other LORs would be recommended (ie Medicine, Surgery, Neuro, etc...)?

Thanks for any input.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

Great to hear you're sticking with pathology!

As far as LOR's...

You need 4 LOR's for pathology--at least that is what is highly recommended if not required.

I have been told that 3 LOR's should be from pathology attending physicians, and the other can be from a clinician in another field.

I think you should definitely ask for a LOR by your previous pathology employer--that letter alone may be more insightful and helpful, in your case, than any of the other LOR's you request.

I think you should try to get at least 2 LOR's from pathology attendings at your medical school. The easiest way to do this is by doing an elective. If there is absolutely NO way you can possibly do an elective (even by pushing back other clerkships etc)--then, I think you should do the following:

-Speak to your department chair about your interest in pathology, and your scheduling conflict. Give him/her a copy of your CV and personal statement, and ask him/her to write you a LOR.

-Speak to the Path residency director at your med school about your situation. Ask for his/her advice regarding how you will get another LOR from a pathologist--or if you should just get the other 2 letters from clinicians.

This may be a feasible way to get your 4 LOR's:
1. from previous path employer
2. from path department chair
3. from clinician
4. depending on discussion with the residency program director at your school--pathologist or clinician

Don't forget--your unique experience and knowledge in pathology will put you far ahead of many other applicants. Even if you struggle getting LOR's from pathologists, just do the best you can with it and try not to worry too much about it--your CV and personal statement will clearly communicate your dedication to pathology.

I only had three letters and this was not a problem for any of the programs I applied to. One was from an internal medicine attending and 2 were from pathologists. I actually know of a few folks who had only one pathology letter.
I think that one strong path letter and 2 strong other letters is a good way to go. Only make sure that the letters are strong. It is much more important that the writer knows you well and will rave about you than it is which department they are in.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, everyone I know going into pathology (and most other specialties) only had 3 LOR's. I had two path LOR's and one internal medicine LOR.

Thanks for the input!

I'm glad I'm on the right track in obtaining the requisite LORs. One from my previous employer will be no problem, as will one from a Pathology attending here. I've got a strong LOR from Psychiatry and (presumably) an equally strong LOR from an IM attending.

Again, thanks for the input and encouragement!

3 letters is the standard, unless you are including the Dean's letter which doesn't really count as an LOR. I think most programs won't even accept 4. Good LORs should attest to your ability to work hard, as a member of a team, and talk about your potential. It is nice to have one from a pathologist who has seen you work as pathologists trust other pathologists, but as long as you have one from a pathologist I wouldn't worry.

Hi,

I just want to say that I applied this year for path--and everyone I know had 4 letters, that was what was recommended to us. It was also recommended that we have as many from pathologists as possible. Perhaps this is because pathology is becoming increasingly competitive? Since everyone apparently has received completely different advice on this--I suggest you talk to the program director at your medical school for the most up-to-date advice on this topic.