Question about LORs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Housefan84

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to the board and I did a search about this particular topic but didn't find any concrete answers. I already have a bachelor's degree so I'm currently taking pre-med classes at a four year university. The one thing I have yet to do is get to know any of my pre-med professors (I'll take all the blame for this one eventhough most of the profs I've had so far were unapproachable).
I was thinking of going to my local CC to finish the couple science requirements I have left mainly because the classes are smaller and I would have better access to professors. I know med schools in general are not to keen on community college classes (I'm willing to take the chance on that) but I'm not sure how they feel about recommendations from CC science professors. The top 3 DO school I'm applying to (Azcom, CCOM and KCOM) all require only one science professor letter so I'd probably only take one science class at the CC and then go back to the four year to take the others. Is it a good idea to take the one class at a CC and get a recommendation from there? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I had some friends that were in the same position that you are in. From what my pre-med advisor said, a LOR from a CC doesn't look as credible as one from a university. I know its hard to get to know your professors but just try to get a hold of them during their office hours and ask them. But overall, I would say try to stay away from taking science courses at a CC unless if it is necessary do to some circumstances.

Thanks for the advice, I think I just have to figure out if I would rather have a great recommendation from a little ol CC or a mediocre LOR from a 4-year. Sigh :scared: :scared: :scared:

Members don't see this ad :)
You want a letter from the prof who is going to write the BEST letter and make you look good.

Get a letter from the prof @ the university and at the CC and submit both

I agree with JP on this one...unless this is some world famous researcher...are they really going to know much about the prof? no. The letter that makes you stand out from a CC is more valuable than the letter that makes you look average from a 4 year. As for the CC science class thing...thats not true. I took physics 1 & 2 from a CC and no school had a problem with that. A good number of accepted students have taken at least some (if not all!) science courses at CC's, especially non-trads. I would try to get to know a professor or two really well, and talk to them about other things than just medicine. Your outside interests are just as important as the ones you have in medicine. You can't be a doctor 24/7, you have to have something else to do with your time. Use that to stand out a little and I bet your letter will look muchu better compared to "John Doe is a nice person. He studies and comes to class. He does nothing else." Best of luck

Hi, I'm new to the board and I did a search about this particular topic but didn't find any concrete answers. I already have a bachelor's degree so I'm currently taking pre-med classes at a four year university. The one thing I have yet to do is get to know any of my pre-med professors (I'll take all the blame for this one eventhough most of the profs I've had so far were unapproachable).
I was thinking of going to my local CC to finish the couple science requirements I have left mainly because the classes are smaller and I would have better access to professors. I know med schools in general are not to keen on community college classes (I'm willing to take the chance on that) but I'm not sure how they feel about recommendations from CC science professors. The top 3 DO school I'm applying to (Azcom, CCOM and KCOM) all require only one science professor letter so I'd probably only take one science class at the CC and then go back to the four year to take the others. Is it a good idea to take the one class at a CC and get a recommendation from there? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

I've always gotten fully confidential L.O.R.s but I would still eschew C.C. letters. The level of difficulty matters. Say you got a high school letter of recommendation and it was absolutely sparkling. To me, it wouldn't hold much weight. Usually C.C.s are much easier so only if you're certain that the C.C. letter will be very good and the 4-year university letter is average, should you go for the C.C. one. Also, most of the applicants will NOT have a C.C. letter so that will only work against you (My friends and I all attended 4-year colleges). It may take some more effort but the 4-year one is well worth it. How will you know what is in them anyway? Good luck :)