Question about lower tier or newer DO schools and matching with residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

phixius12345

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I was just wondering what the negatives of going to a lower tier or newer DO school actually are? I don't plan on doing primary care and would much rather specialize in something like EM. Is there less of a chance of getting residencies for different specialties like ER or even surgery if you go to a lower tier/ newer DO school? I know everyone says it really depends on how you do in med school. I'm just confused about how this all works, because I know for law school, obtaining work greatly depends on where you went to school. I.E. going to a better law school will get you better opportunities than going to a state college or lower tier. Is this not the case with DO schools? Thanks in advance guys!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, I was just wondering what the negatives of going to a lower tier or newer DO school actually are? I don't plan on doing primary care and would much rather specialize in something like EM. Is there less of a chance of getting residencies for different specialties like ER or even surgery if you go to a lower tier/ newer DO school? I know everyone says it really depends on how you do in med school. I'm just confused about how this all works, because I know for law school, obtaining work greatly depends on where you went to school. I.E. going to a better law school will get you better opportunities than going to a state college or lower tier. Is this not the case with DO schools? Thanks in advance guys!

It's similar to your example as going to a top 25 school will give a ton of opportunity and connections to great residencies. However, it is all about you once you're in. You can match pretty much anywhere, provided you work hard and do everything you need to do.

Reactions: 1 users

Just like certain schools are 'feeder schools' to med schools. There are medical schools that are 'feeders' to certain residency programs. A school can help you to a point, eg name recognition/previous students from that school, but as they say it up to you to do well and that'll get you places.

For example LMU-DCOM is not considered Higher tier, but they had a student match AOA Neurosurgery and ACGME Opthomology (State MD school) this year.

Go where you will do the best.

Reactions: 3 users
Also some schools like NYCOM or RowanSOM have sizeable affiliated AOA residency programs, some in competitive specialities. With your clerkship rotating through these hospitals/programs, you could gain an inherent advantage over other students for these programs. Ultimately though, as long as the qualities of the clinical rotations are good (which some DO schools don't have), there shouldn't be that much of a difference.