Question about Masters vs Phd?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nothen2do

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you wanted to do become a clinical psychologist...i.e. private practice working with families, children etc...what would be the justification of getting a masters vs. a psyd vs. a phd? I was reading online and am confused...In California, what licensure exams do you take to become a psychologist and do you need a doctorate to take the licensure exam? Thanks for the help in advance

Members don't see this ad.

I believe you have to be a PhD or PsyD to obtain a liscense for clinical practice. I'm not aware of any states allowing you to practice with only a masters. However, I advise you to look into LCSW (Liscensed Clinical Social Worker). With that degree you CAN have a private practice with only a masters.

mmonte4 said:
I believe you have to be a PhD or PsyD to obtain a liscense for clinical practice. I'm not aware of any states allowing you to practice with only a masters. However, I advise you to look into LCSW (Liscensed Clinical Social Worker). With that degree you CAN have a private practice with only a masters.

Thanks for the reply. I was doing some more research and was wondering one more thing. A therapist (psychotherapist) with a masters can basically do most types of counseling correct? I assume they are limited to certain aspects of clinical therapy (as in they do not take the real tough cases of patients with bad schizo....). Other than that limitation, why would someone get a psyd or phd over a masters if they just want to do psychotherapy or counseling?

Members don't see this ad :)
I started a thread not long ago that seemed to look into this issue (titled "I have a masters, do I want a PhD?")

I've also done some more research on my own & had candid discussions with some of my ex-professors and friends already working in a clinical setting.

This is what I basically got out of it (others are free to debate):

1) A clinical PhD makes the most sense (in terms of time and $$$) if you plan on working in an academic setting (i.e. tenure position), doing research, or working with schizophrenic (or comparably challenging) populations (likely in a hospital setting).

2) If you plan on doing mostly clinical work, a Masters degree might make more sense. For example, although you may learn more 'clinical skills' in a PhD program, you'll also have to do research & publications and devote a lot of time and effort to learning things you will not likely use in a clinical job setting. This same time (often 4-5 yrs post-Masters degree) can be spent getting supervised clinical experience in the field, taking additional courses specific to your area of clinical interest, attending new therapy workshops etc.

In sum, a person with a PhD degree will not necessarily be a better therapist than someone with a Masters degree that has put in some additional work.

3) Although it varies by jurisdiction, in most Canadian provinces you can be called a psychologist (sometimes a psychological associate or therapist) provided you jump through the same clinical hoops first (i.e. supervision hrs, EPPP, etc.). I'm still waiting to hear, but from my understanding, you would need extended (if not indefinite) supervision while in practice. I'm sure it's something similar in the U.S.

I too am interested in doing primarily clinical work.

It seems to me that these programs need some serious revamping in order to tailor to those who do not intend to go into an academic or research direction. I think PsyD programs are maybe a step closer to a purely clinical degree, but in Canada at least, they are too few and too expensive. I wish there were a way (post Clinical Masters degree) to do whatever extra clinical work is deemed necessary to be given the title of 'psychologist' without qualification. I really don't feel like spending another 4-5 years having to conduct studies & publish papers in order to be called one.

Anyway, those are my thoughts

Hope this helps or at least stirrs up some discussion

Just to add here...

I just found out that in my province, you can be called a 'psychologist' with a Masters degree in clinical psychology but you must also have 5 years of supervised training. That makes sense to me.

Maybe there is something similar in certain states.

At any rate, you'd want to keep in mind that NO clinical program will accept you if you tell them you plan on terminating your studies after you get your masters degree. They're looking for 'lifers' ;)

Brad3117 said:
Just to add here...

I just found out that in my province, you can be called a 'psychologist' with a Masters degree in clinical psychology but you must also have 5 years of supervised training. That makes sense to me.

Maybe there is something similar in certain states.

At any rate, you'd want to keep in mind that NO clinical program will accept you if you tell them you plan on terminating your studies after you get your masters degree. They're looking for 'lifers' ;)

Thanks so much for the informative reply