question about math courses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

justaddyogurt

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was thinking about the math courses I would have to take for dental school - and most dent schools just want a year of math. Would you guys recommend stats or calc? I was thinking of doing one semester of calc I, and then one semester of a stats course, but would dent schools prefer to see calc I followed by calc II or does it not matter?

Also, I have never taken stats before and was wondering if any of you know the difficulty of the material compared to calc.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

I found stats to be one of the easiest courses I've taken, so I would say that it is probably easier than calc. But then I never took calc, so someone else may have better insight.

Haven't taken Calc but am taking stats right now. (My final is on thursday) I too have found stats to be somewhat easy and I by no means am a math guru. I am HORRIBLE at Calculus so that class is going to be a challenge for me. I guess it just depends on what you're good at. I think they're both pretty useful and I'm sure dental schools will like to see them both. From what I understand you don't really need Calc 2 but you may want to contact the dental schools you're looking at to be sure. I don't even think Calc 1 is a prereq at alot of schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your responses!
I will probably take calc and then stats, then. :D

Well each school is different, but I would suggest that you do 1 year calc if you can pull it off. If you will get into things like Green's theorem and what not in calc II, I would suggest you try to avoid it (I hated that part of my math course).