justaddyogurt

10+ Year Member
Apr 16, 2008
Status
Pre-Dental
I was thinking about the math courses I would have to take for dental school - and most dent schools just want a year of math. Would you guys recommend stats or calc? I was thinking of doing one semester of calc I, and then one semester of a stats course, but would dent schools prefer to see calc I followed by calc II or does it not matter?

Also, I have never taken stats before and was wondering if any of you know the difficulty of the material compared to calc.

Thanks in advance for your help!

War Eagle

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 13, 2007
Status
Pre-Dental
I found stats to be one of the easiest courses I've taken, so I would say that it is probably easier than calc. But then I never took calc, so someone else may have better insight.

alanan84

D1
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 17, 2008
Status
Dental Student
Haven't taken Calc but am taking stats right now. (My final is on thursday) I too have found stats to be somewhat easy and I by no means am a math guru. I am HORRIBLE at Calculus so that class is going to be a challenge for me. I guess it just depends on what you're good at. I think they're both pretty useful and I'm sure dental schools will like to see them both. From what I understand you don't really need Calc 2 but you may want to contact the dental schools you're looking at to be sure. I don't even think Calc 1 is a prereq at alot of schools.

OP
J

justaddyogurt

10+ Year Member
Apr 16, 2008
Status
Pre-Dental
Thanks for your responses!
I will probably take calc and then stats, then. :D

doc3232

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2008
Status
Dental Student
Well each school is different, but I would suggest that you do 1 year calc if you can pull it off. If you will get into things like Green's theorem and what not in calc II, I would suggest you try to avoid it (I hated that part of my math course).