Question about MCAT scoring..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

MGLombardi

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I just took the MCAT and I think I made a foolish error which cost me a couple questions. Will two more questions wrong cause a point difference between an 8 and 9 or a 9 and 10? Also, if it does, will one point on my total score really matter when applying?
 
I'd like to make a continuation of this question by asking: are all questions worth the same? For example in order to get a 10 on a section, does that mean you must have answered 2/3 of the questions correctly? Or are certain questions more difficult and therefore are worth more than others?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
certain questions are more difficult (obviously), but every question is weighted equally. Each correct question gets you one point and an incorrect question gives you 0 points. That's why it is often advised to not be afraid to skip hard questions and put down random answers if you don't finish a section.
 
For example in order to get a 10 on a section, does that mean you must have answered 2/3 of the questions correctly? Or are certain questions more difficult and therefore are worth more than others?

Good question, I have been wondering this also. Usually when I complete a set of passages from my TPR science workbook or EK 101 Verbal I convert my score by doing #right/#questions total and multiply by 15 to kind of see where my scores are. I'm not sure if this is accurate though...