Question about MDSSP/STRAP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spidey066

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Current medical student here considering doing MDSSP for the Army Reserves. Lets say I did MDSSP for 3 years while in medical school (which would entail a 6 year obligation starting after residency). Now lets say I get accepted to a 3 year EM residency and decide to take STRAP for all 3 years. That would add an additional 6 years of service to my obligation (12 years of obligation total), however my MDSSP obligation gets reduced 1 year for every 1 year I am enrolled in the STRAP program. So I would owe 3 years of MDSSP obligation time rather than 6. So my total time of service owed would be: 3 (from MDSSP) + 6 (from STRAP) = 9 years total. Now here's the part where I am confused. Do those 9 years start as soon as I start residency? (meaning I would owe only 6 years of service after residency if I did a 3 year residency) Or do the 9 years start after I have completed residency? The reason I ask is because I've been doing research on the forums on SDN and have seen conflicting answers so I was hoping to get this cleared up.

I've been having trouble finding the Army Reserves website that details the specific rules of MDSSP/STRAP but I stumbled upon this on the National Guard website (I'm assuming NG follows the same rules as Army reserves regarding MDSSP and STRAP but please correct me if I'm wrong)

upload_2017-12-18_17-51-36.png

Here it says that your MDSSP obligation starts at the beginning of residency if you do STRAP right after MDSSP.

I also found this powerpoint document attached to a thread started in 2014 by coolrunnings22 about National Guard MDSSP/STRAP. Again, I'm assuming the rules regarding the NG and Army Reserves MDSSP/STRAP programs are the same. In that powerpoint document I found this slide:

upload_2017-12-18_17-52-33.png

This diagram also seems to show that MDSSP obligation would start at the beginning of residency. The thread containing the powerpoint file can be found at the following link:
MDSSP / STRAP / HPLRP and my situation

I was hoping someone currently in the Army reserves could clear this up for me. Thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I believe the 9 years start after residency.

If I were to do the national guard instead of the army reserves then would it be just the 6 years after residency?

Members don't see this ad :)
The 9 years start after the completion of residency. The graphic you're pointing to has been around many years, but a few years ago they changed the policy that MDSSP + STRAP payback starts after conclusion of residency.

There is no difference in this policy (including payout benefits and payback obligations incurred or there timing) between the ARNG and Army Reserve.