Quantcast

Question about Med School reqs?

BeMo Free Repeat™ On Us + 5 Med School Challenge
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ryguy1410

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I was reading a post earlier that mentioned a university waiting for an applicant to finish a course in order to evaluate his grade in that course. I guess I haven't heard of this, but in my current position I am going to be without 2/3 of the organic chem required during this application cycle. Do you have to have all of the pre-reqs met by application time, or just met by the time medical school starts?

SketchLazy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I was reading a post earlier that mentioned a university waiting for an applicant to finish a course in order to evaluate his grade in that course. I guess I haven't heard of this, but in my current position I am going to be without 2/3 of the organic chem required during this application cycle. Do you have to have all of the pre-reqs met by application time, or just met by the time medical school starts?

Technically, you have to have all your pre-reqs by the time you start medical school. But if you are missing enough of the pre-reqs, you might hurt your chances at an interview, and consequently, an acceptance. This all depends on how many pre-reqs your missing, what school it is, and what else you have going in your application.

gman33

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Most schools will want you to finish all the prereqs before you apply.
In some cases they will let it slide if you are only missing a lab, or an extra course like biochem. You will just need to complete it before you matriculate.

If you haven't taken most of Ochem, you better have an outstanding application if they are going to look past that.

ShyRem

I need more coffee.
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here's the thing about pre-reqs:

You need to finish them before you matriculate.
You need to finish at least bio, phys, gen chem, and at LEAST one semester of ochem to do well on the MCAT.
While some schools have genetics or biochem as prereqs, you only need complete those courses satisfactorily prior to matriculation, not application.

Good luck to you.

Law2Doc

5K+ Member
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here's the thing about pre-reqs:

You need to finish them before you matriculate.
You need to finish at least bio, phys, gen chem, and at LEAST one semester of ochem to do well on the MCAT.
While some schools have genetics or biochem as prereqs, you only need complete those courses satisfactorily prior to matriculation, not application.

Good luck to you.

I sort of disagree about the MCAT comment -- orgo II is fair game on the MCAT and so you are well served completing ALL of the prereqs before taking it. Some people are good self learners and can learn it on their own, others not so much. I know I saw quite a few questions out of the second semester material back when I took it, although I'm sure the percentages of material from each prereq may have changed over time.

I would also add that if you aren't a science major, the schools are going to want to see all of your prereq grades by the time you apply because you simply won't have enough science to evaluate your BCPM against others if you are going to finish stuff later, before you matriculate.

ShyRem

I need more coffee.
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had some too, Law. But for some reason all the review books say it's only the first semester OChem that's tested. *shrug* I also had biochem questions however.

Good thought about non-science majors. I certainly didn't apply to even half of all med schools, but they all said prereqs were to be completed by matriculation and you could be in process while applying.

:idea: Ok, my one neuron just turned on for a brief brilliant moment and figured out if you take the MCATs even while finishing OChem II, you'll probably have the prereqs complete by the time you're doing secondaries. Yoikes. Amazing how the brain shuts off after 8 hours of lecture. :oops:

glamqueen

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Definitely not just ochem 1 - I've had a ton of spectroscopy on some of my practice diagnostics and old AAMC tests I've taken. I would say as long as you can reason through mechanisms and you self-learn ochem 2, you could probably take it after the MCAT. I'm applying without Physics 2. Taking it this summer. No one has ever told me it was a problem.

Law2Doc

5K+ Member
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Definitely not just ochem 1 - I've had a ton of spectroscopy on some of my practice diagnostics and old AAMC tests I've taken. I would say as long as you can reason through mechanisms and you self-learn ochem 2, you could probably take it after the MCAT. I'm applying without Physics 2. Taking it this summer. No one has ever told me it was a problem.

There is definitely physics 2 material on the MCAT. If you are a strong self learner, I'm sure you can get by, but the question or two you might miss could be the difference between a competitive and noncompetitive score. Which is why I and many others suggest you take the MCAT after all the prereqs are complete. It definitely can make a difference.

glamqueen

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice, but I've already hired a tutor. I'm doing fine without the class, and I've learned at on on my own. (I'm married to an engineer and I have a brother who has a PhD in engineering also.) I'm pretty set. The Biochem I took instead of Physics 2 this semester has proved invaluable to my understanding of some of the topics that have been on the MCAT, so I definitely don't regret my decision. However, I do agree that those who can manage to get all their prereqs in are better off. It has not been easy teaching optics and circuits to myself!