Question about medical license application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Homoochan

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!
I am completing a state license application and had a question. I didn't know where to turn to so I'm asking forum who might have some answers. There is a question stating if I ever had an investigation, an inquiry or a complaint about me or my practice regardless of outcome from any source (hospital, board, etc). I did have a committee at my hospital inquire about a case. I talked to few people on that committee and that was that. I did get a letter stating that self-acknowledgement would be fine. I think I should disclose this because it was, indeed, an inquiry. How detailed do you discuss the case on the application? Or just saying "I had an inquiry, no disciplinary action was taken and no further action was taken" would be okay? Just trying to see if there is anyone with similar situation.

Thank you!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi!
I am completing a state license application and had a question. I didn't know where to turn to so I'm asking forum who might have some answers. There is a question stating if I ever had an investigation, an inquiry or a complaint about me or my practice regardless of outcome from any source (hospital, board, etc). I did have a committee at my hospital inquire about a case. I talked to few people on that committee and that was that. I did get a letter stating that self-acknowledgement would be fine. I think I should disclose this because it was, indeed, an inquiry. How detailed do you discuss the case on the application? Or just saying "I had an inquiry, no disciplinary action was taken and no further action was taken" would be okay? Just trying to see if there is anyone with similar situation.

Thank you!!

A bit too vague to be able to help you.
What was the inquiry, what was the committee?
Was it a peer review?

Hi!

Thank you!!
You have to go by the specific wording on the application and you haven't given much in the way of specifics, like what "acknowledgment" means in your case (Admitting fault? Acknowledging you were at the committee?) Also, this is not legal advice. But generally, these hospital committee review where you did nothing wrong, are exactly that, nothing. If it didn't lead to a medical board complaint or lawsuit, it's probably a nothing-burger. They're not asking you to disclose every stupid complain letter you every got from a patient or some jerk attending with a personality disorder, or every time you presented at an M&M or any of that. They're mainly looking for medical board actions, lawsuits, criminal record (felonies, not traffic tickets and that nonsense) and substance abuse requiring treatment or affecting your work.

But again, this is not legal advice. If you're really worried enough about it, contact one of the lawyers at your malpractice carrier, confidentially. No one needs to know what you had to talk to them about. It's totally fine to call them and ask them a healthcare law question, in fact, that's there job and they're being paid to be available to you. They'd rather help you early on as opposed to having to deal with something poorly managed that blows up into something legally messy, later.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
A bit too vague to be able to help you.
What was the inquiry, what was the committee?
Was it a peer review?

yes it was a peer review of a case. I can't talk about specific for obvious reasons but a hospital practice committee asked about specifics about a case. Then gave me a letter saying well know that this is a case we want it to bring it to your attention and if you encounter same situation maybe think about doing this. It wasn't related to professionalism, misconduct, patient complaint, lawsuit, criminal or drug activity.

Every doc has cases peer reviewed. I've had several (thankfully all of which have been appropriate). As an associate medical director and member of a QA committee, every mortality is automatically reviewed. This doesn't mean that you need to report it on every application and nor should you. Even if you're found at fault. Where I live, these are protected by state law.

As mentioned previously, it's all in how the question is worded. You probably should consult with a healthcare attorney or someone in the state where you will be practicing to get some guidance.

yes it was a peer review of a case. I can't talk about specific for obvious reasons but a hospital practice committee asked about specifics about a case. Then gave me a letter saying well know that this is a case we want it to bring it to your attention and if you encounter same situation maybe think about doing this. It wasn't related to professionalism, misconduct, patient complaint, lawsuit, criminal or drug activity.

Peer reviews are usually protected and do not usually need to be reported.
It would need to be reported if the peer review committee gave it to the credentialing/privileges committee and they restricted your practice.

When in doubt , get an esquire. That's what they call them on the discipline reports.

When in doubt , get an esquire. That's what they call them on the discipline reports.
Fun fact: lawyer my best friend dated told me that, if the attorney appends JD after the name, they've never been in court. She said, if it is Esq, that means they've argued at least one case in court. Doesn't mean they won, though!

Peer review? You don't disclose those.

Peer review? You don't disclose those.
I'm not sure this is true. You certainly don't report ongoing peer review (these are the typical cases reviewed monthly--everyone is subject to these, and I would imagine nearly everyone has had cases reviewed semi-regularly.)

However, I would imagine that this question is referring to focused peer review ( whixh typically come after a pattern emerges or after a serious event) Which you would have to report. These are big deals--lawyers involved, termination of hospital privileges considered, etc. I highly doubt the OPs case involved this, but you should just contact the peer review committee and ask if you've ever been the subject of a focused peer review

I did speak to a lawyer and he told me the question sounds vague enough for me to disclose peer review. He told me it's safer to disclose for minor thing like this where nothing came out of it. If somehow board discovers it later, then it could be a bigger problem (although peer review is not discoverable). So, I'm going to just say I had a case reviewed by a hospital committee and no further action was taken.