1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

question about micro

Discussion in 'Step I' started by Reborn24, Feb 27, 2007.

1. Reborn24

Reborn24 Guest

im having a really hard time trying to memorize the drug used for each organism. Do you guys think this is high yield enough for me to do this.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. pinky65

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    it may be easier if you group drugs/organisms... to make it easier for myself i wrote down in MMRS the drug group that is used for most of the organisms in a chapter e.g. tetracycles for chlamydia/rickettsia, aminoglycosides for yersinia, francisella etc. if you remember the general groups then it's easier to learn the one or two exceptions to any of the groups.

4. surprisedgirl

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    how is th pharm part in MMRS? i have heard its not good to look at....any opinions?

5. pinky65

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    i didn't really pay attention to the pharm stuff in CMMRS. I just added the names of some drug groups in some of the chapters to help me put the two together.

6. mountainman123

Medical Student
    I read MMRS twice including the pharm sections and I thought that they were good for the Antibiotics, but the other sections were just ok. I used Microcards to memorize the specific drugs for the different bugs. You will find a lot of generalities such as Doxy for many, many bugs, Macrolides for atypical URI's etc...

7. Old_Mil

Old_Mil Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    ...what's worked for me is reading about a bug from Micro made ridiculously simple, and when a treatment is cited, to go to first aid and learn everything about that particular drug.

Worked a lot better than just trying to memorize all the antibiotics cold.