Question about MMI interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LiteralLungs

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I realize that this will vary by school, but do you think it is a bad idea to repeat the same stories/anecdotes/thematic ideas in the different panels of the interview? From what I understand, there are separate interviewers in each panel. I guess they take notes on what you say, and then when the adcom is later deliberating they might see that you used the same ideas repeatedly and might come off as one dimensional?

I realize that the different panels will likely have very different questions, but what if you have multiple lessons learned from a single experience and can apply those to different questions?

@MedSchoolTutors

Members don't see this ad.

It's almost a balancing act. If you have something that is very central to your identity, you are and should use it several times when going through a long interview day. For example, I had a heavy EMS background and lots of leadership experience from it, so I ended up mentioning it several times during interviews. Now, the flip side is you don't want to dominate the day with only one part of your resume. The best bet is to have 1-2 answers for each of the major questions and then be ready to roll with the punches on MMI day, because some questions will be worded differently and elevate one anecdote or the other. For example, I worked with both a diverse set of coworkers in EMS and also lived on a Latin floor in undergrad. How that particular school worded the question determined which fit better as an answer, and if I had talked too much about EMS I would default to the non-EMS anecdote.

Hope this helps!

David D, MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

I realize that this will vary by school, but do you think it is a bad idea to repeat the same stories/anecdotes/thematic ideas in the different panels of the interview? From what I understand, there are separate interviewers in each panel. I guess they take notes on what you say, and then when the adcom is later deliberating they might see that you used the same ideas repeatedly and might come off as one dimensional?

I realize that the different panels will likely have very different questions, but what if you have multiple lessons learned from a single experience and can apply those to different questions?

@MedSchoolTutors
Just answer the damn question

Reactions: 1 user
As long as you are insightful it doesn't matter which story you draw from as long it it gives them a good sense of who you are and why medicine.

Reactions: 1 user