Quantcast

question about my teeth

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

peekaboo

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Aug 13, 2004
Messages
15
Reaction score
0

Members don't see this ad.
Hey

I know some of you are students but I would still like some advice as I have a dentists appointment on monday aug15 but I'm pretty worried right now.

So I went to my doctor yesterday for something unrelated and while I was there I remebered to ask him about this discoloration on my gums(right side , upper area). It kinda brown/darkish about 1/2 inch long 1/4 inch wide. He said it looked like (I'm not sure if I'm saying this right) "melentosis" and that I should have my dentist look at it...it might have to be biopsy(MIGHT).

I was just at my dentist a month ago for filling on that side and they took xrays and stuff but my dentist didn't say anything...but I only saw it 2 days ago as I'm always checking my gums.

What could this be?

Can I post a picture? I will do so when I get home tonight if I'm allowed to.

Anyhoo I'm just looking for answers between now and monday as I can't seem to relax.Even if your answers are wrong please don't be afraid to post up :D
 

UBTom

Class '04 official geezer
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Jul 24, 2002
Messages
1,459
Reaction score
4
The condition your doctor mentioned is melanosis. It can have many causes and can be physiologic (i.e. normal), from smoking, or more rarely from certain systemic diseases (which yours is probably not), etc. Ask your dentist for a definitive diagnosis.

HTH!
 

peekaboo

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Aug 13, 2004
Messages
15
Reaction score
0
Can you list some causes...I don't smoke.

But I have a very poor diet (only eat chicken and drink soda due to allergies)and I am bulimic. Could soda cause this as I have had 10 fillings in the past 2 years.


Anyhoo I hope they don't have to cut it out or anything drastic like that?



I really appreciate your help :)
 

UBTom

Class '04 official geezer
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Jul 24, 2002
Messages
1,459
Reaction score
4
Relax. Benign physiologic melanosis is pretty common. But if you are interested in some of the other conditions associated with pathological melanosis, here's a short list you can use to start your research: http://www.maxillofacialcenter.com/Table86.html

I've lived on a pretty poor diet and survived all-night cram sessions on Diet Dew myself for four years of dental school and I haven't developed any melanosis. :D

HTH!
 

peekaboo

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Aug 13, 2004
Messages
15
Reaction score
0
ok ok I will let you know thanks for the help. :D
 

c132

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Jul 5, 2003
Messages
268
Reaction score
0
Hello, I was wondering if I could ask a few ?'s about your condition. First off, what is your race? There is pigmentation in many "colored" peoples gums, which is termed racial pigmentation, and is perfectly normal. However if you have just noticed it, then it could be something else, but if it has been there all the time and you just now noticed it since your dentist did work and you looked there, then that may be a diagnosis.

ALSO, did you get a filling removed, maybe a amalgam, silver filling when the dentist did the new work, or in the past on that side. It could be an amalgam tattoo, which is simply the same grounds as getting a tattoo, but this is done when you remove an old amalgam and pieces come flying out like a mother!!! THIS IS VERY VERY VERY common, and perfectly safe. I have many pts with this that I am seeing in D school right now.

Now for the BAD stuff. Melanoma, which is found in the mouth on occasion would be the only "REALLY" bad thing that comes to mind, however being where it is located, that is a low risk area. Oral cancer can be discolored, but again, not in a place where it usually arises.

POST US UP A PIC and we may be able to help you more.... Also tell us more about your medical hx. Like age, exposures, etc.....
 

ItsGavinC

Full Member
Moderator Emeritus
20+ Year Member
Joined
Oct 7, 2001
Messages
11,749
Reaction score
23
Excellent comments by the dentists and students, but to the OP: be sure to follow through and visit your dentist. None of our advice can take the place of actually visiting the practitioner.

Good luck, I'm sure you'll discover everything is normal.
 

Dr.SpongeBobDDS

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Feb 15, 2004
Messages
541
Reaction score
2
In addition to seeing your dentist, please seek help with your eating disorder. That is a very serious problem.

In fact, THAT may be the reason for all your recent decay. A lot of people confuse bulimia and anorexia - if you force yourself to vomit frequently the stomach acid can dissolve your teeth in a matter of months! :eek:
 

Dr.SpongeBobDDS

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Feb 15, 2004
Messages
541
Reaction score
2
BTW, soda's pretty bad for your teeth, too. As if you didn't already know. ;)
 

peekaboo

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Aug 13, 2004
Messages
15
Reaction score
0
Sorry I didn't post up a pic...I'll do that for sure tonight(tues)

Here's my stats

-Male 28
-5'7 , 110lbs
-east indian(dark skin)
-Asthma(ventolin/flovent)
-bulimia
-Severe food allergies (all I eat is plain chicken, water , and I drink lots of creamsoda as it makes me hungry which is good as my stomatch has got used to eating nothing.
-low Thyroid(elthroxin)
-onset of Osteoperosis
-don't smoke, drink or do drugs

yes the bulimia is better...but now and then have to do it as it started from a irratable bowl problem where I felt too full to easy and it easier to start throwing up...but then that got out of control....but its much better now.

But like I said I've probaly had 10 fillings done in the past 2 years...either from the stomatch acid or the soda.


So I saw my dentist yesterday and he looked at it and didn't seem to concerned untill I said my doctor said it might be melenosis then he seemed to look a little harder at it and around my mouth.

He then took his camera and took pictures which didn't really put me at ease.

He saw me a month ago and did 2 fillings in that area and didn't see anything and I didn't see anything up until thursday last week.

The dentist said he would like me to visit and oral surgeon to take a look and that appointment is tommorow(wed) at 9am. So he seemed kinda relaxed about it but not exactly reassureing that it was nothing. He was pretty sure its just pigmentation for my skin type.

So I will go see the oral surgen on wed and we will see....I really apreciate all of your help. I can say I'm pretty scared he will have to cut up my face.
 

c132

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Jul 5, 2003
Messages
268
Reaction score
0
peekaboo said:
Sorry I didn't post up a pic...I'll do that for sure tonight(tues)

Here's my stats

-Male 28
-5'7 , 110lbs
-east indian(dark skin)
-Asthma(ventolin/flovent)
-bulimia
-Severe food allergies (all I eat is plain chicken, water , and I drink lots of creamsoda as it makes me hungry which is good as my stomatch has got used to eating nothing.
-low Thyroid(elthroxin)
-onset of Osteoperosis
-don't smoke, drink or do drugs

yes the bulimia is better...but now and then have to do it as it started from a irratable bowl problem where I felt too full to easy and it easier to start throwing up...but then that got out of control....but its much better now.

But like I said I've probaly had 10 fillings done in the past 2 years...either from the stomatch acid or the soda.


So I saw my dentist yesterday and he looked at it and didn't seem to concerned untill I said my doctor said it might be melenosis then he seemed to look a little harder at it and around my mouth.

He then took his camera and took pictures which didn't really put me at ease.

He saw me a month ago and did 2 fillings in that area and didn't see anything and I didn't see anything up until thursday last week.

The dentist said he would like me to visit and oral surgeon to take a look and that appointment is tommorow(wed) at 9am. So he seemed kinda relaxed about it but not exactly reassureing that it was nothing. He was pretty sure its just pigmentation for my skin type.

So I will go see the oral surgen on wed and we will see....I really apreciate all of your help. I can say I'm pretty scared he will have to cut up my face.


I don't think it will happen, I guessed earlier racial pigmentation, and I stand with that! may be a very big amalgam tattoo, but I dunno, without a pic! Don't worry too much about it, if you caught it within a month, then even if it was something really bad, then you got it early you know, but again, I don't think its something I would worry about until you see your surgeon!
 

peekaboo

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Aug 13, 2004
Messages
15
Reaction score
0
is this pic good enough...hard to hold your mouth open and shoot with the other...oh and my teeth are a nice white not this yellow color :p

tooth1.jpg


this area is also showing discoloration right? Or maybe its just my eyes

tooth2.jpg
 
T

toothcaries

today is the 18th..how did your dental appointment go?

*edit* (i read the rest of this thread-nevermind)

peekaboo said:
Hey

I know some of you are students but I would still like some advice as I have a dentists appointment on monday aug15 but I'm pretty worried right now.
 
Members don't see this ad :)
T

toothcaries

as far as a differential..
from the history provided, i'd call it focal melanosis.
i see a flat brown mucosal discoloration.
you need radiographs.

you should see opaque particles on a radiograph if it is an amalgam tatt.

melanotic macules dont have malignant potential...but early melanomas are very similar looking clinically.


soo..
..i'd want an excisional biospy to rule out melanoma.

what else..
some systemic meds are associated with flat pigmented lesions...as are a whole bunch of genetic diseases environmental pollutants and even chronic trauma.




disclaimer: an opinion from someone not licensed to practice anything..anywhere.
 

peekaboo

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Aug 13, 2004
Messages
15
Reaction score
0
Ok thanks for your opinion....I don't care if your not licensed :)

I will see the surgeon in about 2 hrs(9am) and see what he says.
 

grtuck

Just bending that wire...
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Joined
Apr 27, 2004
Messages
144
Reaction score
0
Although you may not get a definitive answer today, let us know what happens.

grtuck
 

peekaboo

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Aug 13, 2004
Messages
15
Reaction score
0
ok ok ...maybe I should print out the pic and show him the area with the arrows?

I slept for like 2 hrs last night...I need a new body.
 

c132

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Jul 5, 2003
Messages
268
Reaction score
0
peekaboo said:
Sorry I didn't post up a pic...I'll do that for sure tonight(tues)

Here's my stats

-Male 28
-5'7 , 110lbs
-east indian(dark skin)
-Asthma(ventolin/flovent)
-bulimia
-Severe food allergies (all I eat is plain chicken, water , and I drink lots of creamsoda as it makes me hungry which is good as my stomatch has got used to eating nothing.
-low Thyroid(elthroxin)
-onset of Osteoperosis
-don't smoke, drink or do drugs

On your I need a new body quote. You are very young and your body can do a turnaround for that reason. See when people get old and want to change their habits it is by far more difficult for their body to adjust. but you should be able to just fine.

My suggestions, go and see a MD who is a specialist on your food allergies. The doc you are seeing may not have a lot of experience on this and may be treating you from a textbook. Also see a different MD on your low thyroid. If possible get 2 or 3 different opinions from differnt MD's on possible medications etc.... cause you need to put on some weight. I would get up to around 125-130 at the very least for your height if you can. That will make you start feeling better already. I used to be really skinny in high school, now in D school I have plumped up quite nicely. Your teeth look to be in good shape from the pic so keep them up. Oral health is the first step to total health.

JUst for my own info, what foods are you allergic to? Any nuts? I would see a RD for some help on what to eat after you give them a list of foods which you are allergic to. They can really help you make sure that you are getting your proper vitamins/nutrients. I think this is probably one of the most important things to do in your case, since all you have been eating is chicken and cream soda.

Also you need to get calcium somehow in your diet for the osteoporosis. AND you need to start doing strength bearing exercise, IE lifting weights or something strenous for your bones. Again you are young and may be able to alter this simply by diet and exercise. If you can't drink milk, try soy, if you can't do soy, try yogurt, if you can't do that try lactaid, then try goat milk, then if all those possibilities are exhausted, go and talk to your doctor about calcium supplements. My mom eats these little chocolates that they sell in the store for calcium supplements and they are pretty good.

At first you may not like the taste of some of these foods, and prob. wanna go back to eating plain chicken and drinking water/cream soda, but you really really do need to stop doing that and start paying attention to your diet. It could make the difference in you living to see 35 and you living to see 85!

I know this sounds boring and probably like your mom, but if you get a hold of your body now, you can live to see many more moons!!!!!
 

peekaboo

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Aug 13, 2004
Messages
15
Reaction score
0
Ok I'm back...not much different was said.


basically the surgeon said it was a "nevia" or something like that....I said is that a melenosis he said yeah. I asked if it was serious he said no but just because it came so fast in the past month or so that he would like to check it out.

Funny though when he says "no" I hear "yes" :scared:

So he wants to do a biopsey and send it to the lab.

I'm going back at 1pm( as I had something to drink in the morning and they want me to fast for at least 6hrs) They said the results should be back in a couple of days.

$410(canadian) for a biopsey

They said results should be back in a couple of days...so I would guess wed.
 

peekaboo

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Aug 13, 2004
Messages
15
Reaction score
0
c132 said:
On your I need a new body quote. You are very young and your body can do a turnaround for that reason. See when people get old and want to change their habits it is by far more difficult for their body to adjust. but you should be able to just fine.

My suggestions, go and see a MD who is a specialist on your food allergies. The doc you are seeing may not have a lot of experience on this and may be treating you from a textbook. Also see a different MD on your low thyroid. If possible get 2 or 3 different opinions from differnt MD's on possible medications etc.... cause you need to put on some weight. I would get up to around 125-130 at the very least for your height if you can. That will make you start feeling better already. I used to be really skinny in high school, now in D school I have plumped up quite nicely. Your teeth look to be in good shape from the pic so keep them up. Oral health is the first step to total health.

JUst for my own info, what foods are you allergic to? Any nuts? I would see a RD for some help on what to eat after you give them a list of foods which you are allergic to. They can really help you make sure that you are getting your proper vitamins/nutrients. I think this is probably one of the most important things to do in your case, since all you have been eating is chicken and cream soda.

Food allergy specialts are not very helpful actually...they pretty much confirm what you already know and then send you on your way with the words stay away from this and that.

No prob...my allergies are:

Milk(goat/soy/yogurt etc)
Egg
Fish(sea food in genral)
Nuts( nut/oils/traces of nuts etc)
Wheat
most fruits
most greens


Its easier to tell what I can eat actually:

chicken
carrots
potatos
onions (yay lucky me!)
and of course some candy, and most soda

These are actual allergies not stomatch irratations....symptoms are hives, swelling of the throat.

There was a period where I got used to eating nothing and my stomatch got used to that I lost weight to 102lbs.

But regardless of the weight my asthma and environmental allergies are 10x better at 110lbs eating just chicken than at 130lbs eating more variety.

I take multi vitamins or my hair starts to fall out and I get a vitamine B shot every 3 weeks

2 Tums a day for 2 years has shown no progression in my bone density scans + they are good after meals :)

I was taking Fosamax which is prescription but it is too hard on your stomatch as you have to take when it is empty and you endnd up with a buring stomatch after a while.

Yes the exercise has helped for sure...having stronger muscle has takin a lot of stress off everything.

I know this sounds boring and probably like your mom, but if you get a hold of your body now, you can live to see many more moons!!!!!

:thumbup: thanks mom


Ok so I hope this biopsey isn't tooo deep? They wanted me to bring someone to take me home so I'm guessing they put me to sleep?

Anyhoo thanks for everyones help and input....I'll let you know how it goes...maybe I'll post pics of the biopsy if its not all swollen :D
 

UBTom

Class '04 official geezer
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Jul 24, 2002
Messages
1,459
Reaction score
4
Hmm.. Can someone be allergic to eggs but not chicken..? Or can someone be allergic to chicken but not eggs? Which came first, the chicken or the egg? :D

Sorry, I can't resist. :laugh:

Anyway, I'm sure the biopsy will turn out fine. Good luck.

P.S. you might want to improve your overall health-- Try working out more. Get out there and exercise often and regularly. Being exposed to UV sunlight will help your skin manufacture Vitamin D to help your calcium metabolism and thus help with the osteoporosis. You might find some of these annoying problems like osteoporosis and certain adverse reactions decrease once you become active outdoors; people who lead sedentary lifestyles and stay cooped up inside their homes tend to get sick more often than active people.

HTH.
 

c132

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Jul 5, 2003
Messages
268
Reaction score
0
peekaboo said:
Ok I'm back...not much different was said.


basically the surgeon said it was a "nevia" or something like that....I said is that a melenosis he said yeah. I asked if it was serious he said no but just because it came so fast in the past month or so that he would like to check it out.

Funny though when he says "no" I hear "yes" :scared:

So he wants to do a biopsey and send it to the lab.

I'm going back at 1pm( as I had something to drink in the morning and they want me to fast for at least 6hrs) They said the results should be back in a couple of days.

$410(canadian) for a biopsey

They said results should be back in a couple of days...so I would guess wed.


Go buy some calcium supplements, 2 tums a day isn't sufficient, you need a lot more than that!!!! BTW a nevus is nothing more than a mole!!!!
 

peekaboo

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Aug 13, 2004
Messages
15
Reaction score
0
k....back to sleep :sleep:
tooth3.jpg


Oh aren't digital cameras great that I can show you this :D

talk to you later
 

c132

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Jul 5, 2003
Messages
268
Reaction score
0
wait a few days when that chromic gut suture starts to breakdown then look at it, man it looks really nasty then!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 

Biogirl361

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Mar 7, 2004
Messages
1,295
Reaction score
1
i just started following this thread, DO let us know how it turns out! best wishes to you as well.
 

peekaboo

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Aug 13, 2004
Messages
15
Reaction score
0
Hey!

Sorry for the late reply

I would just like to let you know that the results came back and it turned out to be nothing.

Also thanks for being there when I needed your help as I was quite worried :thumbup:

Thanks!

Oh I can post pics of the area now if you wish....let me know
 

grtuck

Just bending that wire...
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Joined
Apr 27, 2004
Messages
144
Reaction score
0
ya, show us what it looks like.

grtuck
 

peekaboo

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Aug 13, 2004
Messages
15
Reaction score
0
thanks for the help/advice guys/gals

edit I just saw I didn't take such a clear pic as far back as the others if you want I can take one further back just let me know :thumbup:

tooth4.jpg
 

Dr.Millisevert

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Joined
Aug 4, 2004
Messages
1,577
Reaction score
6
UBTom said:
Relax. Benign physiologic melanosis is pretty common. But if you are interested in some of the other conditions associated with pathological melanosis, here's a short list you can use to start your research: http://www.maxillofacialcenter.com/Table86.html

I've lived on a pretty poor diet and survived all-night cram sessions on Diet Dew myself for four years of dental school and I haven't developed any melanosis. :D

HTH!
I saw that you quoted something from the maxillofacialcenter.com website... just as a side note.. I found this link ( http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/cavitation.html ) on www.quackwatch.org , what do you think of this?
 
Top