Question about NOVA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

InNY

10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello out there to you experienced med school applicants, especially those of you who know stuff about NOVA. If there's anything I do know is that I want to be a family physician, and I am aware NOVA has a special program where you can apply and get a guaranteed family residence, so long as you pass all the requirements to pass the curriculum of the med school. My question is, how many people actually can get into this program, and what are the special requirements to apply for it(any specific GPA, experience with a family doc, etc., and how can I find out more info. I tried the NOVA-COM website, but it didn't have any info, in fact it didn't even mention the program, I just found out about it by chance. I also e-mailed the school to send me more info about it and they never responded, so I'd like more info. from any of those of you who may know. THANX.

Members don't see this ad.

It sounds like you are referring to SYFAM (Seven Years in Family Medicine). It is my understanding, as communicated to me by a NSUCOM student about two years ago, that this program was phased out.

ggulick.gif

I don't know if it has been phased out or not but the 1998-1999 Health Professions Division Calendar from Nova still mentions it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I asked about it during my interview in January and the interviewers discussed the program with me briefly. I don't remember a lot of the particulars other than that the students in the program are sent at school expense to AOA events concerning family medicine, etc. They didn't say anything about it being phased out or discontinued. I raised the question after reading about it in the current NSUCOM catalog.

InNY,

I think you should know that family practice residency is virtually a guarantee anyway. I mean there are way too many spots for the number of people who apply for it and since the demand will be so high in the future, those spots are not going to be eliminated. So you might say that it's the default residency. I'm not trying to say that it is at the bottom of the pile, but you have a higher likelyhood of matching in family practice than any other area of medicine. I dont know if the program you are asking about is shorter than 7 years, but the shortest route to becoming a board certified DO doc is through family practice and 4 yrs of school, 1yr of intership, 2 yrs of residency, = 7 years.

So, you should not be sweating over such a program. Your FP residency is in the bag if you get into med school, no matter where you go.

Acually, there is a program in VA (EVA I think) that allows you to do your first year of residency during your fourth year of med school. So, you are done in 6 years. It is part of the Generalist Physician Initive.

Premed1

Is this at an osteopathic medical school?