Question about NRMP data

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ERDOC555

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
When they show the data in "charting outcomes in the match" and we see number of applicants and then number of spots filled, are we seeing every single applicant that completed ERAS and applied into that specialty or just the ones who actually got at least 1 interview?

So basically if we see a 95% match rate is that a true 95% match rate or is it actually lower if it's not including people who got no interviews?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

It should include everyone that ranked a specialty. Not many people are dumb enough to rank a place they didn't interview at.

Reactions: 1 users
The match data is only generated from the rank lists. So if someone was still undecided as an M4, and interviewed in Anesthesia, Psych, and Ophtho but in the end only ranked Anesthesia programs (I know someone who did this), there is no record of their prior interest in Psych/Ophtho. It's been a while since I went through the Match, but the ERAS data would capture some of this, but probably still has holes in terms of who actually completed interviews - particularly late in the season ones when everyone is tired and cancels last minute through email...unless invites/scheduling/confirmations/cancellations go through the ERAS system these days.

IIRC, some of the data analysis uses the idea of "desired specialty" which is based off of the specialty ranked first. Useful when evaluating candidates going into competitive fields who subsequently rank a second specialty as a back up. This assumption that the desired specialty occupies the #1 position on the ROL is a logical conclusion if everyone follows instructions and simply ranks the programs in the true order they desire. But given the number of threads on SDN where people seem to choose against their true feelings, it probably ends up introducing a small degree of bias/uncertainty into the results of the data analysis (not the fault of the NRMP though).

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Also, does anyone know when the match stats for state and specialty and even individual programs comes out?

Also, does anyone know when the match stats for state and specialty and even individual programs comes out?

If you go to NRMP.ORG, they released the press for this year's match by State and various stats, etc.

Sorry, I meant when will I be able to see how many spots filled at a certain program, like out of 6 surgery spots at University X, how many filled.0, etc

Thanks guys! I appreciate the information.

I would assume true match rates in competitive specialties are lower then seeing as I'm sure there are individuals who couldn't submit a rank list as they got no interviews.

Also this probably means the IMG data is even worse than it looks. I bet a portion of IMGs can't even get a single interview even though they apply for certain residencies.

Sorry, I meant when will I be able to see how many spots filled at a certain program, like out of 6 surgery spots at University X, how many filled.0, etc

Yeah, log into nrmp.org and under "My Report" you can see the two pdf files. One of them will answer your curiosity.