Question about nutritional supplement classification.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SergeGainsbourg

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. I'm currently helping a German friend who is translating her thesis from German to English. The thesis is in optometry but it deals with nutritional supplements.

There are three terms, I'll give them below, with how I think they should be translated. However, these are legal classifications in Germany. I don't know if there are similar legal classifications in the USA. ie I don't know if there are already coined phrases in English that would be better to use than these somewhat literal translations.

I would appreciate your opinions.

Nahrungsergänzungsmittel = Dietary Supplement

diätetische Lebensmittel für besondere medizinische Zwecke (bilanzierte Diät) = Dietetic foods for special medical purposes (balanced diet)

Basically the first is a small amount of a supplement such as one would take to augment daily intake. Like a daily vitamin.

The second term describes supplying the total daily needs of someone who for medical reasons can't take in or produce a nutrient in the usual manner.

Members don't see this ad.