Question about NYCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JapaneseSakura

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

If someone were to fail a class, will they put you in a remedial class or just kick you out? I know someone who's going to fail, but he's not sure if they will kick him out or not.

Members don't see this ad.

If you fail one system, you remediate it over the summer. If you then fail a second system during that year, you are dismissed but can attempt an appeal.

the worst part of the whole process is not actually remediating but having to stand in front of the progress committee consisting of 10 people you've probably never met and trying to convince them why the school should let you stay. i think many people have failed out by now, the last exam we had, i saw many empty seats that were filled before.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a first year right now, and not that many people have failed out, but I know some have failed courses that'll have to remediate. Most of these "unfilled seats" as far as the class of 2014 is concerned are due to people that dropped out voluntarily or took leaves of absence. I know quite a few people who realized that maybe they don't want to be physicians after all or had problems at home, etc.

Don't let it freak you out, it sounds way scarier than it really is - I was terrified when I first heard about it, too.

I dont know who you know but if I had failed out, I know I wouldnt go around telling people it was because I couldnt pass my exams. People will do anything to save face, medical students are definitely not the exception.

I know some of the people that have failed out in our first year class were given permission to restart next school year with the 2015 class.

For what its worth, I also heard some students say some have been kicked out after failing just one system...which I found surprising since I heard the "fail two systems and you're out" deal as well. So whether they go about it on a case-by-case basis, it may very well be so. Could be there's different requirements for the emigre or medprep students. I'm not entirely sure.

Last edited:
I am not surprised at all. If you look at the student handbook, I believe they changed the policy, the language is subtly different. It is now..

"Students who have earned an unsatisfactory final grade in a LDB pre-clinical course (or part of the Nervous System and Behavior course) or clerkship may be approved to remediate that LDB pre-clinical course or clerkship at the end of the academic year. (Students on academic probation are not eligible to remediate.)

meaning they reserve the right to kick out anyone after one failure.

@_@, I did not know all this! Thank you very much for responding! He said that a lot of people did awful in neurology so want to remediate that system!

@_@, I did not know all this! Thank you very much for responding! He said that a lot of people did awful in neurology so want to remediate that system!

You cant remediate unless you failed, if you didnt fail then you are stuck with the grade you got. Although NYCOM has pass/fail transcripts so only you and the academic disciplinary committee will know your grades.

The disciplinary board treats each case on a case to case basis, if you were very close to passing then most likely you will be remediated, If you did horribly bad they will most likely dismiss you because you pretty much showed you cant do it. If you failed early on in the year, they'll most likely have you start again the next year.

Neurology isn't just difficult, it's divided into 3 separate systems/blocks, hence why so many more people potentially do poorly - you have 3 opportunities to fail.

Also, I know a handful of people that had failed 1 system, etc. (and are still in school) so obviously it's not that hard to find out this information/they're not lying to everyone about it. But friends of mine who took leaves of absence and plan to return next August, why would they be lying? Don't be ridiculous. I also know an EPP that dropped out because he was offered a residency position, etc. There's a story behind everything, it's not always about failing out.

The fact of the matter is that the vast majority of the 300 students entering the class ARE NOT going to fail, so please stop trying to scare incoming students. The class of 2014 hasn't been reduced significantly in number, that's for certain.

Just for perspective, the Class of 2015 began with around 315 students and now they have around 270 students.

that is scary

i'm sorry. if you FAIL a system in MEDICAL school you have to REMEDIATE?! and if you FAIL TWICE in MEDICAL school you are DISMISSED?! MIND-BLOWN.

guys c'mon now to sound like an *** but our goal is to become quality physicians and we owe that much to our patients. if you fail multiple times in medical school, then it is very unlikely you'll be able to manage/treat a patient coding in front of you.

i'm sorry. if you FAIL a system in MEDICAL school you have to REMEDIATE?! and if you FAIL TWICE in MEDICAL school you are DISMISSED?! MIND-BLOWN.

guys c'mon now to sound like an *** but our goal is to become quality physicians and we owe that much to our patients. if you fail multiple times in medical school, then it is very unlikely you'll be able to manage/treat a patient coding in front of you.

You missed the real issue. Having a ~15% failure/dropout rate is excessively high. It casts doubt on the quality of teaching and/or a failure to screen out low-caliber students. I don't have any personal knowledge of NYCOM, but combined with the high COMLEX failure rate (see other thread), as an outsider, NYCOM is not looking good.

It casts doubt on the quality of teaching and/or a failure to screen out low-caliber students. I don't have any personal knowledge of NYCOM.

I do, and its the latter they need to work on more really. I hate to say it, but I've observed so many in my class that I just felt shouldn't be in med school, period. Also keep in mind the COMLEX failure rate spiked for the class of 2014, but earlier classes didn't experience this, without there being any major curriculum changes either. Looking forward to what the match list is going to look like, that's for sure.

No you need to fail two systems to be kicked out, and then you are offered an appeal. If you appeal successfully you retake the entire first year.

Reactions: 1 user
You missed the real issue. Having a ~15% failure/dropout rate is excessively high. It casts doubt on the quality of teaching and/or a failure to screen out low-caliber students. I don't have any personal knowledge of NYCOM, but combined with the high COMLEX failure rate (see other thread), as an outsider, NYCOM is not looking good.

Nailed it. With the proliferation of franchise campuses (e.g. New York COM Arkansas, PCOM Georgia squared) and the expansion of MD schools/and class size, this will just get worse. Schools will fill seats with poorly qualified students to keep their pockets flushed with cash. Eventually, this will lead to Caribbean-style attrition and dismal board pass rate.

Teaching is irrelevant. Both a Harvard student and a DO student can both buy the exact same books on amazon. You would have a point if you were referring to clinical education though