Question about obtaining CA License

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ezio Auditore

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, guys!

I am a 2019 graduate and have been practicing as a GP for the past year. My husband and I are moving to California due to his new military orders. I've researched what I could since I know times are tricky with COVID-19 and Cali's state of emergency. I made a BreEZe account to start the application for getting a California license but I keep getting stuck because my only options for selecting an application are:
- RVT License Expired > 5Yrs. Application
- RVT License Application
- Temporary Veterinarian Application - Internship
- Temporary Veterinarian Application - Reciprocity
- Veterinary Initial Exam Application - CA School Graduate
- Veterinary Initial Exam Application - Non-CA School Graduate
- Veterinary Initial Exam Application - Reciprocity - CA School Graduate
- Veterinary Initial Exam Application - Reciprocity - Non-CA School Graduate
- Veterinary Assistant Controlled Substance Permit Initial Application
- Veterinary License Expired > 5Yrs. Application
- Veterinary Premises Initial License Application

The closest thing I can think would be appropriate to select is the "Vet Initial Exam - Non-CA School Graduate." But when I select it, it tells me:

"This Application is for:
  • Graduates or senior students within eight (8) months of graduation from an accredited American Veterinary Medical Association veterinary schools not located in California, or
  • Graduates or senior students within eight (8) months of graduation from a non-AVMA accredited veterinary school and 1) are enrolled in the Educational Curriculum for Foreign Veterinary Graduates (ECFVG) or Program for the Assessment of Veterinary Education Equivalence (PAVE) program and 2) has passed the basic sciences examination requirements of the ECFVG or PAVE program."

A reciprocity application would require that I have had a license for at least 2 years.

I have called and e-mailed the CVMB and CVMA multiple times in the past month with no responses or call-backs. A colleague told me he believes I should apply as if I were a new graduate, but I just wanted to confirm on if anyone else had a solid answer or opinion?

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

This would be the application you want- the within 8 months of graduation part I believe means that IF you're still in school, you will be graduating within 8 months, as lots of students write the state licensing exam during their fourth year.

Reactions: 1 user
You know.. this is definitely a face-palm situation, haha. Yep, I can see where the misunderstanding is. I've got it, now! Thanks!

Definitely try to get these applications done early! The CVMB has been extremely delayed due to COVID-19, and some testing centers are still closed. This likely explains why they have not replied back to your messages. I just graduated in CA, and this was causing a lot of my classmates stress because they were not responding to any emails or phone calls, and we needed our licenses prior to starting our jobs/internships. I would also research where your closest testing center is in your state to make sure they are open and taking appointments.